Greens mapping

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have not done a read up on the R&A Rules site for some time but just found an article that says greens mapping (to some degree) will be made against the rules on 1st January 2019. Full details to be announced in October.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your on Facebook read this. It’s a caddies insight to the banning of green reading books.

https://www.facebook.com/740516246076007/posts/1627944950666461/

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there are two other factors at play.

1. trying to speed up the game
2. trying to reduce the influence of the caddie.

The 1st point can easily be managed and policed by being far stricter with times and I am amazed that there are still so few instances of guys getting a bad time in Pro events.

The second point. I don't have a big issue with, but obviously now that it has become part of the game, it will be difficult to roll it back and also extremely difficult to police (unless they just hire someone to carry clubs for a player and don't allow pro caddies at all). Clearly also very unfair to current caddies who work hard and will probably have much reduced capacity to earn going forward.

But the letter from John Wood is excellent and very difficult to argue with many of his points.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The level of detail on these is staggering and no wonder it slows down play.

My club have held 3 of the top Am Tournaments in the last few years, Curtis Cup, Home internationals and Boys Open and for all 3 a green mapping book was produced by the guys that do these for the pro's. got hold of one and tried using it for a bounce game a few times the level of detail was hard to decipher against what my eyes were telling me. No wonder the pro game is so slow