Green side chipping

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice pants.

thanks. it was winter time! lol.

the video just show exactly how easy it is to play off a tight lie using the bounce. it is an absolute piece of piss. on the course, I love nothing more than a chip off a nice tight lie. sit the club about half an inch behind the ball. pop it up lovely and soft.

when I see people thinning wedges and hitting fat wedges 1 yard, I feel like pulling my hair out. no wonder I am going light up top! :eek:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
thanks. it was winter time! lol.

the video just show exactly how easy it is to play off a tight lie using the bounce. it is an absolute piece of piss. on the course, I love nothing more than a chip off a nice tight lie. sit the club about half an inch behind the ball. pop it up lovely and soft.

when I see people thinning wedges and hitting fat wedges 1 yard, I feel like pulling my hair out. no wonder I am going light up top! :eek:

Does the technique still work when the ground is soft?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does the technique still work when the ground is soft?

when the ground is soft you want as much bounce on there as poss. it will prevent it from digging. as you know yourself, when its uber soft, there will always be a bit of a divot. the more you use the bounce the better though. keep that leading edge from digging in.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re- 'bounce', it's also one of the problems folks have if they are handsy, & have a wrist break in takeaway, as that picks up the clubhead up a good ways to steep without moving the handle overmuch away from it's original address position.

So coming back down they're presenting the leading edge of the club, so even if there's a good degree of bounce on the club it won't really save them overmuch from the club digging in. & as has been said already if the grounds soft there's much more of a tendency for that leading edge to bite & dig some, so the ball gets chunked nowhere.

To have a good chipping action, the clubhead's arc has to be shallow, both in the takeaway & the return back through impact. That's also one of the reasons why the motion should be powered by a constant chest/upper body rotation with connected arms plus quiet hands. As well as that being a much more reliable way to regulate tempo, rhythm & length of the swing to give much more consistent control over the distance the ball then travels.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
nowt wrong with a wrist break going back. it doesn't hurt big philbert! ;)

[video=youtube;q4DevROGzXM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM&feature=kp[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't rule anything out. learn how to chip using wrists, quiet wrists. its all a means to an end.

if any you want any more proof on using bounce for little soft checking shots then here is the main man butch. listen from 1.10. "hit an inch behind the ball"

[video=youtube;Cm0Gc2rTHVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm0Gc2rTHVg[/video]

it couldn't be any simpler!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ordinary chips (so not looking for height or not coming out of thickish rough) with a good deal of hand action requires a high degree of skill level to get consistent results as the action has to involve a good ways more timing of the wrist movement to get repeat solid contact back at impact.

If someone can naturally do that & get repeated good results, then all good.
Really very few folks can, which is why folks have trouble with this part of the game, hence the original question & the many similar questions on this site, all with similar chipping problems, issues & inconsistent results with their short games.

If with that wristy movement the timing is a little ways out, & it's also much more difficult to time given the shorter length of swing & time available through that short stroke to get the wrists consistently back in the right position, then it's a good ways easier to hit fats or thins.
It's much harder to chip this way, it's much easier to get consistent results from a quiet hands with arms & chest rotation connected motion.

If the bounce comment aimed my way, you'll see from what I said, that bounce is important.

But what I was referring to, was that in a very handsy set motion, from takeaway it means there's a large degree of steep pick-up of the clubhead. Has to be, just hold the arms still, set the wrists & the club head moves upwards a good distance for what seems a small wrist movement.
So then the as the clubhead is moving a good ways upwards as a result of the hand action, also & very importantly the handle moves very little from it's original address position with this kind of chipping hand action motion.

So that on it's way back to impact, what then usually happens as the handle hasn't moved any much is that the clubhead then mostly moves downwards but not much in a forwards direction to the ball as the handle isn't moving forwards.
This as the hand action is more of just the right wrist returning to being straight which mostly just moves the clubhead a ways downwards from a position that's too far above the ground. Too much downwards movement of the clubhead & not enough forwards movement. (not what you need, you have to retain a degree of right wrist flex to impact, just as you would in a full swing so that the left wrist is flat through impact, so solid contact ball first ground second at best, or at the same time with the shallower AoA allowing the use of the 'bounce')

But this oversteep handsy motion instead just dumps the leading edge (as that is the forwards most part of the club being presented to the ball with these movements) straight in the ground behind the ball, so the bounce never gets chance to 'work' any.

If the golfer has this happen a good few times but doesn't realize its down to the handsy action so thats repeated.

Then sometimes on return to the ball as a compensatory move to burying the leading edge into the ground, they will then flip the wrists, right palm skywards, so the leading edge is then presented straightways into the back of the ball & they knife it, as again any 'bounce' the club may have doesn't have chance to work as it would with a shallower approach angle.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Duffing and thinning are the result of trying to 'help' the ball into the air.
Causes could be
ball too far forward
flicking the hands
leaning away from the target.

Here's a drill that many have enjoyed.......

Set up
Very narrow stance
ball an inch inside the front foot
weight and hands forward a touch
hold the club at the bottom of the grip.

Aim
to hit the ball UNDER the shaft with a swing that has a LONGER FOLLOWTHROUGH THAN BACKSWING.

If you get it right, the ball will go OVER the shaft.

As long as you try and hit the ball DOWN with a stroke that isnt slowing down at impact, the ball will go up

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8aMPqdmbY[/video]

This will help with the longer chips/pitches

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want to keep it low, select a 7/8/9 iron for example, and use your putting stroke

[video=youtube;yS8LNuMopZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS8LNuMopZo[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the bounce comment aimed my way, you'll see from what I said, that bounce is important.

no it wasn't aimed at you. you know exactly how it works. it was more aimed at anyone that has never had the pleasure of trying to hit an inch behind the ball and was amazed at how the club slips in under the ball.

no helping it up, no leaning back. just slips in and pops higher and lands softer than any other way. all off a reasonable tight lie using bounce that was touted as being counterproductive in these conditions.

Chrisb83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know you said you'd looked at youtube but this Video really helped me.

Skip to to 1 minute in and he finally gets onto chipping

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went over the range this afternoon to try out what bobmac and the coach said about stance and the chipping motion, well, it was a great success .

The ball contact off the mat was great and even the small pitches were spot on, the only issue I had was despite lining myself up to a target , the ball nearly always went left of target.

After a while I weakened my grip with the thumb of the left hand directly down the centre of the shaft and the right hand felt as if it were on top of the shaft.
i then had to take a practice swing every time to make sure the club face did not close on me and remain open as it was at address.

I tried this with the sand iron, pitching wedge and gap wedge and I was amazed that I could use the bounce of the club so efficiently, brill. :thup:

It still wasn't perfect but I'm getting there.