Green marker muddle

IslaG

Visit site
Two identical markers close on green. Both players had marked own balls. When it came time for them to putt Player A inadvertently put their ball down on the wrong marker and lifted marker At that point Player B said “I think that’s my marker” so Mr A re- marks the ball and proceeds to place their ball on the other marker ( their correct one) and putt. Any penalty??

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would happen if neither of them could remember which marker was which..?

Have you been spying on our seniors section? :)

Since neither knows the spot on which to replace his ball they have to estimate it. Rule 14.2c. Let's hope they have sufficient wit left between them to realise that they can't both estimate the same spot.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Have you been spying on our seniors section? :)

Since neither knows the spot on which to replace his ball they have to estimate it. Rule 14.2c. Let's hope they have sufficient wit left between them to realise that they can't both estimate the same spot.

If they haven't got the wit between them for one of them to change their marker I feel they are beyond hope!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they haven't got the wit between them for one of them to change their marker I feel they are beyond hope!
I'm still amazed that some of my fellow seniors play the same ball as their playing partners and when queried say "it's OK mine has a scuff mark on it". Fortunately they don't tend to use the same ball for too long.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Another senior moment on the putting green-
On the putting green, player A marks and lifts his ball. Player B asks that A’s ball-marker be moved because it interferes with B’s line of play. Player A moves his ball-marker one clubhead to the left. Player B then putts. Player A measures one clubhead to the right of his marker and replaces his ball (not the ball-marker) on the original spot and holes his putt. What penalties has player A incurred?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
On the putting green, player A marks and lifts his ball. Player B asks that A’s ball-marker be moved because it interferes with B’s line of play. Player A moves his ball-marker one clubhead to the left. Player B then putts. Player A measures one clubhead to the right of his marker and replaces his ball (not the ball-marker) on the original spot and holes his putt. What penalties has player A incurred?
If the ball has been replaced on the balls original spot, then no penalty. If though you are saying that the ball was replaced on the ball markers original location, then it's a two stroke penalty for playing from a wrong place.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

When you say "replaces his ball .... on the original spot", do you mean the original spot where the ball lay or where the marker was?

salfordlad

Visit site
No penalties if ball is in correct spot, rule 15.3c.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Not a rules point, but a handy tip. I always turn my marker over when moving it because it’s on someone’s line … that way the sight of the reverse side reminds me that I have to move it back to the correct spot before putting.