Graphite Shafts in Irons

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone on here use graphite shafts in their Irons? It’s something I am seriously considering, Snedeker and Kuchar both do. Was just wondering the advantages/disadvantages to them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fragger uses "Grandad" shafts.
Graphites are a lot better than they used to be.
Still lighter than all but the lightest steel though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've graphite in my set of RAC LT irons. Stiff and light.

Miles away from most people perception of 'graphite shafts'.

Arguably they should always be a lot better as you can make them to any spec you need much more easily than steel - but, and there's always a but, to do so is hugely expensive! There are also arguments regarding the ability to maintain co-ordinated consistent matched shafts - which is where steel comes into it's own.

Then of course there's hybrid (materials not clubs)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used graphite shafts extensively from early 90s to mid 2000s. Back then it was about what you were willing to pay to get the quality. These days the quality is very good in all the well known brands. It was also possible to buy shafts which were not available in steel versions my best set being Aldila progressive kick point shafts.

The only reason I switched back to steel was because steel shafts are now made in very good quality lightweight versions.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Something I'm seriously considering for my next set. Would probably go to a demo day or a fitting as I've no idea what flex I'd be. I'm borderline R/S in steel. Wondering if I'll be more of a stiff flex in graphite and the lighter shaft will give me more swing speed

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pp is playing them he was off six for years now he off four .
He hits them very well.
He has had these longer than any set of irons , he is a real swopper of clubs.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the past couple of years I’ve had stiff graphite shafts in a set of Cleveland 588 CBs. I bought them off of eBay new on the assumption that they would improve my slow swing speed and the stiff shafts would reduce dispersion perhaps at the expense of a little distance. I liked the clubs and wasn’t going to change, but won the Ping G700 fitting a few weeks back and wanted to see if game improvement irons would suit me better.

At the fitting we first tried graphite shafts and then various weights of steel. It was apparent that I was getting better results with the mid-weight steel and was losing 10 yards with the graphite.

Whilst rambling on what I am basically saying is that it is worth trying both and see what gives you the best results.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I switched to Recoil graphite shafts in my irons last year, they are very stiff and a little lighter than the Dynamic Gold XP steel they replaced. They work well for me, I tried out every shaft option that Mizuno offered on a TrackMan and the Recoil gave the best results.

Two downsides after using them for just under a year. They scratch in the bag really easily. And they really hurt when you fat or thin the ball, as they absorb a lot less vibration than steel. They do feel good with a clean strike which is basically never...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just changed to Ping i200 with Ping Alta CB shafts for health reasons and I haven't noticed any loss of feel, distance or dispersion.

Lovely feel and if anything I may have gained a couple of yards. Modern day graphite is phenomenal compared to where it was a few years back. Was good enough for Sir Monty for years, even when it wasn't as developed as it is today so its more than good enough for a chopper like me.