Graphite shaft protection

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have taken a punt on a set of PXG irons whilst they were on sale, fitted with graphite shafts. Is there something that can be done to protect against bag rub?

evemccc

Visit site
Have taken a punt on a set of PXG irons whilst they were on sale, fitted with graphite shafts. Is there something that can be done to protect against bag rub?

No idea really, but I have a graphite shaft that’s got quite badly chipped through, I’m guessing, bag rub

I bought a long ‘sock’ (as opposed to ‘boxing glove’) style headcover for it…so maybe invest in those?

evemccc

Visit site
No idea really, but I have a graphite shaft that’s got quite badly chipped through, I’m guessing, bag rub

I bought a long ‘sock’ (as opposed to ‘boxing glove’) style headcover for it…so maybe invest in those?

Naturally though it makes sense to kill two birds with one stone - so treat yourself and play your favourite Open rota course, and then buy a sock-style headcover as a memento / protection against bag rub ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make sure your bag itself is in good condition. A good bag should have good shaft protection in the first place (assuming a 14 way divider)

I only have graphite woods and rescues and I use long knitted sock type covers for added protection.

I have often wondered if adding tape is changing the bend the bend characteristics of a shaft but I suppose the only way to really find is with a range machine.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Stitch some soft towling fabric around small pieces of sponge and then superglue to the collars of the bag dividers, which are usually hard under the fabric. ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've said this before and I'll say it again...
What are you all doing with your clubs to get bag rub..?
I've had graphite shafts in some clubs since '97 and have never, ever had any bag rub on any of my clubs.....
I don't get it....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Practical but fugly (far-king ugly)

Just buy a decent quality bag focusing on padding around the bag divider. I’d suggest avoiding later sta-dry / h2no’s as my 2018 model split within 3 months and I’m a once a week player. The new motocaddy stuff is very good, new at the end of 18 and showing zero wear on the padding to date.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've said this before and I'll say it again...
What are you all doing with your clubs to get bag rub..?
I've had graphite shafts in some clubs since '97 and have never, ever had any bag rub on any of my clubs.....
I don't get it....

I reckon rest their arm on the clubs while walking. This creates heat and premature wear on bag dividers which split and then wear the shafts.

You’re an old codger who uses a trolley, no issue ;)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll never carry again due to all my surgery so will just wrap some tape on the club's. Just protection for resale really more than anything else.