Graeme Storm

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Congrats to Graeme Storm who won the South African Open yesterday,Storm only kept his tour card this year because Patrick Reed gave up his European Tour membership in November,whats more he beat McIlroy in a play off to win!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was good to watch yesterday, I'm not sure many fancied his chances going into that playoff especially with Rory bombing it 60 Yrds past him off the tee.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Congrats to Graeme Storm who won the South African Open yesterday,Storm only kept his tour card this year because Patrick Reed gave up his European Tour membership in November,whats more he beat McIlroy in a play off to win!

Watched it yesterday live, it was great Storm played well all week and during the play off he knew Rory was always going to play more aggressive and try and go for the Birdie. The 18th has only had 2 Birdies throughout the whole day, so it was a difficult playoff hole. What I want to know is, why did they continue to restart the 18th? In other play offs I have watched they have played a different selection of holes not just the one hole over and over again?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What impressed me in the playoff was how he stuck to his game plan. Was happy to be shorter than Rory and didn't go chasing his drives. Just stuck it down the middle, and onto the green. Rory missed the fairway all 3 drives which wasn't great!

Great story

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I watched it yesterday. What would have been nice for the play off, if not for the final day too, would have been a more accessible pin placement. Sticking it back there had no excitement at all.

U

User62651

What I want to know is, why did they continue to restart the 18th? In other play offs I have watched they have played a different selection of holes not just the one hole over and over again?
I suspect that as the majority of paying spectators are seated or standing around the 18th hole is why they would do that, also it sounds like a tough hole so good for getting a result quickly. Think this element of what to do in a playoff is down to each tournament organiser rather than a Tour rule. I'm fairly sure I've seen this done before.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suspect that as the majority of paying spectators are seated or standing around the 18th hole is why they would do that, also it sounds like a tough hole so good for getting a result quickly. Think this element of what to do in a playoff is down to each tournament organiser rather than a Tour rule. I'm fairly sure I've seen this done before.

Thanks for that, you've already answered my next question whether the Playoff was down to the Tournament organisers or the actual Tour itself.

U

User62651

Thanks for that, you've already answered my next question whether the Playoff was down to the Tournament organisers or the actual Tour itself.
As I say I dont know for sure, think it more common to play two holes over and over adjacent to eachother, one of the pair being the 18th.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't very interested in the US tournament going on in Hawaii but I saw a headline about Thomas's lowest ever tournament score and clicked the link. Good to see Justin Rose coming second but for that he trousered $648k. Storm won €164k for winning the S.African open. You can't argue against players moving to the US with such a large disparity in earnings. Tough job for the ET to keep their top players in the face of those figures.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What I really like is the way every other Pro is congratulating him and giving off really good vibes...
Could you see that happening in many other sports?
Your direct competitor wins and you're totally made up for him..?
Could you see Jose being that way with Pep..?

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must admit I was rooting for McIlroy, but it was nice to see Storm win after all that carry on last year.

The amount of people watching was nice to see too....although there were lot of plonkers in there shouting things after the players had hit

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must admit I was rooting for McIlroy, but it was nice to see Storm win after all that carry on last year.
The amount of people watching was nice to see too....although there were lot of plonkers in there shouting things after the players had hit

I was pulling for Rory too, especially after those two great shots from the trees. Good to see Graeme get the win tho, as it will mean more to him than Rory as other have said.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
very glad he won. i have £50 on rory not winning a tournament this year. would have been a shame to loose my money on day 1. saying that, it would be worse if he wins his last tournament and cost me 2.5k

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What a roller coaster for Storm over the last few years. He does seem a decent sort who took the narrow miss of initially retaining the card on the chin and then has grabbed the opportunity that presented itself with both hands. He played well too and it wasn't as if McIlroy gave it to him

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What a roller coaster for Storm over the last few years. He does seem a decent sort who took the narrow miss of initially retaining the card on the chin and then has grabbed the opportunity that presented itself with both hands. He played well too and it wasn't as if McIlroy gave it to him

I can remember Storm as a youngster when he first joined the tour and then becoming a journeyman pro on the ET,great to see him winning again after all these years.