Gracious in Defeat!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I know with time i would probably get where my Pro wants me to be..... But Time is something of a rare commodity when you have small ones about...Im a little lucky in that my daughter is 11 and my small lad is 6...So they are not very young and can come with me to the course when they like....

I think the swing is good enough to get me lower and from talking to most people from 9 down its all about the wedges and the putter so thats where the focus will be this season.

It's supposed to be a hobby... a fun hobby..... if you're enjoying whatever your choices are then that's 100% what you need to be doing. IMO family should always come first.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's supposed to be a hobby... a fun hobby..... if you're enjoying whatever your choices are then that's 100% what you need to be doing. IMO family should always come first.

To be honest James....If you gave me the time id bury myself in the swing.... But i think i have a good enough one to get me to CAT 1 anyway and maybe maintain it with a bit of short game practice.... Yes it has flaws but who hasnt......

Iv learned a hell of a lot over the past season about my tendencies and why they happen which is handy as i know roughly what to tackle if they get a bit gammy....
Family always takes front row with me and as my small man is taking a keen interest i have to be sensitive to him also....The upside to all this is that when he has junior club i help out as well so im getting good at that awkward 50 and 60 yard shots compliments of the smallies:lol:.

Iv learned a lot from yourself and Bob and also my Pro and in fairness i think if you look at where i am now and what i was at with the very first swing i ever filmed its like night and day....
The bar will always be raised for me but im enjoying my golf at the moment which is translating into scores..... When i stopped trying so hard i started scoring better....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My swing is unique. It is technically flawed but I have eeked out a way of returning the club to the ball on a decent path on an increasingly regular basis. It is never going to be perfect and I've given up the chase. Seeing some of the agricultural efforts some of our single figure guys have as long as path is great at impact I'm happy. I've just come back from one of the best ball striking sessions I can remember at the range. I just focussed on a good, short (for me) back swing and a good turn and exit as I had worked on in 2013. Happy boy.

I have regular lessons booked with my normal teaching pro between now and March and to be honest based on tonight I am not too fussed on refining to much more and just keep what I have going and repeating. For me getting the chipping, pitching, bunkers and putting sorted and some work on pre-shot and keeping the voices in my head quiet as I play (3513 swing thoughts don't work) then its time well spent. I can swing well with what I have. I just need to make sure old bad habits (and new ones) don't creep in and that is where regular tuition and launch monitors/videos will help. My swing my way

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When i stopped trying so hard i started scoring better....

Perhaps, but more likely your swing had/has improved by all your 'trying hard'.

You're an amateur golfer (same as the rest of us) you're talking about this stuff like it's a kind of 'life and death' thing, it's a hobby - work on your swing, don't work on your swing.... it's up to you. I don't know that many people who just swing the club without having a few thoughts as to what's going on in their swing. I'm sure working on your short game will help your scores any way... and that's the same for everybody.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kid, that looks like a pretty good swing and ball flight to me. I think you think too much. Sandy Lyle used to be a great natural golfer and was famously asked what he thought about during the swing. He answered 'nothing'. That was his secret. Then he started to think about it and it all went to pot.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kid, that looks like a pretty good swing and ball flight to me. I think you think too much. Sandy Lyle used to be a great natural golfer and was famously asked what he thought about during the swing. He answered 'nothing'. That was his secret. Then he started to think about it and it all went to pot.

Thanks Pal...

Thats why I think I wrote the post pal..... I had to get out of the mechanical thinking as o was taking it onto the coirse with me as well... In a qay its kind of hard not to but since I atopped and juat went out and knocked the ball around not worrying whether my swing was doing this or that....

I felt the ball flight was tight enough and playable enough to enjoy and play well enough....
Im really looking forward to this season now......

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Never forget that the vast majority of Golfers will never get to single figures so to have got to where you have is a feat in itself.
It may be that you've got to your peak, you may drop another couple, you may plough through to Cat 1 - who knows.
But it's important to get your head around what you've achieved.
After a good day you'll think turning Pro is the next step
After a shocker you'll think you have much work to do to even swing a club again...

In reality you'll continue to improve, slowly, certain parts of the game. Some will go AWOL for a while and then return only for another part to go to Ibiza for a month...
The key is to not get down-hearted because you've had a bad spell.
If you can crack single figures then you're not a bad golfer and I think it's important for everyone to remember that.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never forget that the vast majority of Golfers will never get to single figures so to have got to where you have is a feat in itself.
It may be that you've got to your peak, you may drop another couple, you may plough through to Cat 1 - who knows.
But it's important to get your head around what you've achieved.
After a good day you'll think turning Pro is the next step
After a shocker you'll think you have much work to do to even swing a club again...

In reality you'll continue to improve, slowly, certain parts of the game. Some will go AWOL for a while and then return only for another part to go to Ibiza for a month...
The key is to not get down-hearted because you've had a bad spell.
If you can crack single figures then you're not a bad golfer and I think it's important for everyone to remember that.

Voice of reason as always Murg:thup:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Pal...

Thats why I think I wrote the post pal..... I had to get out of the mechanical thinking as o was taking it onto the coirse with me as well... In a qay its kind of hard not to but since I atopped and juat went out and knocked the ball around not worrying whether my swing was doing this or that....

I felt the ball flight was tight enough and playable enough to enjoy and play well enough....
Im really looking forward to this season now......

Step in to the light my child ;)