GPS Watch recommendations

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Take a look at the Bushnell Neo XS.

http://www.bushnellgolf.com/gps/neoxs.aspx

I used to have a Garmin S1 but found the battery life to be a pain. Okay for 18 holes, but would never last 36.
I now have the Bushnell and love it.
Battery life is much (much) better, after playing 18 holes it still has 3/4's charge left.
Has the added bonus that the it gives you distances for up to 4 hazards on each hole, something the Garmin didn't offer.
Yardages are spot on too. Compared it with playing partners hand held devices (Garmins etc) and it's telling me exactly what theirs are telling them.
Very light, hardly know you've got it on. Easy to charge too. No subscription charges either.
Also has a few other handy features, switches itself back into "watch" mode after a set time (just in case you forget to do it) to preserve battery life. It does beep a few times before doing this as your round might be taking longer than expected so you can extend the facility.
Also tells you how long you have been out on the course, and how far you have walked in total.
I'd recommend one.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Take a look at the Bushnell Neo XS.

http://www.bushnellgolf.com/gps/neoxs.aspx

I used to have a Garmin S1 but found the battery life to be a pain. Okay for 18 holes, but would never last 36.
I now have the Bushnell and love it.
Battery life is much (much) better, after playing 18 holes it still has 3/4's charge left.
Has the added bonus that the it gives you distances for up to 4 hazards on each hole, something the Garmin didn't offer.
Yardages are spot on too. Compared it with playing partners hand held devices (Garmins etc) and it's telling me exactly what theirs are telling them.
Very light, hardly know you've got it on. Easy to charge too. No subscription charges either.
Also has a few other handy features, switches itself back into "watch" mode after a set time (just in case you forget to do it) to preserve battery life. It does beep a few times before doing this as your round might be taking longer than expected so you can extend the facility.
Also tells you how long you have been out on the course, and how far you have walked in total.
I'd recommend one.

This will always be the case because everyone other than SkyCaddie only use the same 3rd party arial imagery which is updated very infrequently whereas SkyCaddie ground map (boots on the course) and revisit always when invited.

The key thing to me would be, if your only playing your own course 99% of the time then you would be aware of your own course changes and wouldn't rely on the GPS as much, as such it wouldn't be a big deal, but, if you travel a lot to meets, play in opens, competitions etc, then you won't know of all those course changes and its highly unlikely they will be updated quickly (2-3yrs) as arial imagery is out of their control!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have played with SkyCaddie owners since purchasing the Watch and it's still reading the same as them
;)

It will do if the course hasn't experienced any recent changes, their (other GPS brands) imagery eventually catches up, of the 200+ course changes we have done already this year (2015) of which some are significant, if you follow me on Twitter you'd see them, those other GPS devises won't show all those changes such as open ditches across fairways, new bunkers, change of hole order, new tee boxes, ponds etc for a good few years :eek:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It will do if the course hasn't experienced any recent changes, their (other GPS brands) imagery eventually catches up, of the 200+ course changes we have done already this year (2015) of which some are significant, if you follow me on Twitter you'd see them, those other GPS devises won't show all those changes such as open ditches across fairways, new bunkers, change of hole order, new tee boxes, ponds etc for a good few years :eek:

Oh you work for SkyCaddie!!!!
;)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Oh you work for SkyCaddie!!!!
;)

:thup:

But I'm being honest in my opinions not biased in any way, if you only play at a course with minimal or no annual changes and don't play at other courses very much, then its open season and get the best for the price, but if your wanting up to date accuracy because you travel around and don't want to loose silly shots by finding new hazards you couldn't visibly see or knew about, then there's only 1 brand that ground maps consistently and will keep coming back to a club when changes are made!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got an s1 that I don't use Iain. It's the original big chunky one but you could have it for a very reasonable price, maybe a part ex on g25 if matt doesn't take it.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had a LINX for 2 months now, previously I had a Garmin G3.

Firstly I was concerned about wearing something on my wrist, as I don not usually wear a watch when I play, but its so light I done even notice it now, and I love just being able to look at my wrist for a distance rather than go back to my bag.

I bought it because I am an call at time and the bluetooth function would useful for, I do use it but has not be easy to set up but I explain in a minute why.

I have bought a membership and in my opinion it is worth the expense, the accuracy is as almost spot on to my Laser on my course and others I play, so no issues there, and the Hazard Lists and True Green I think is good

There have been only two downs:

1) The first watch had an issue which meant I could not get things working but I did not know because for such a sophisticated device there is no user manual only a start up book let, so in my view this is negative.

2) Secondly I Sync it with a Mac and that has not been easy, I had to get the Customer Services to help set the my Mac by down loading an additional driver so it would sync correctly.

However in summary I think its is a good product, better value for money than the Garmin S4, perhaps released to market a little early, but I think it will only get better in time, and Skycaddie Customer Service has been excellent sorting out any issues I have had.

Any other questions happy to answer

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got an s1 that I don't use Iain. It's the original big chunky one but you could have it for a very reasonable price, maybe a part ex on g25 if matt doesn't take it.

Cheers Dave, I might take you up on that :thup:

Matts got about 15 drivers to test I think!! :rofl:

You just use the laser now?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had a LINX for 2 months now, previously I had a Garmin G3.

Firstly I was concerned about wearing something on my wrist, as I don not usually wear a watch when I play, but its so light I done even notice it now, and I love just being able to look at my wrist for a distance rather than go back to my bag.

I bought it because I am an call at time and the bluetooth function would useful for, I do use it but has not be easy to set up but I explain in a minute why.

I have bought a membership and in my opinion it is worth the expense, the accuracy is as almost spot on to my Laser on my course and others I play, so no issues there, and the Hazard Lists and True Green I think is good

There have been only two downs:

1) The first watch had an issue which meant I could not get things working but I did not know because for such a sophisticated device there is no user manual only a start up book let, so in my view this is negative.

2) Secondly I Sync it with a Mac and that has not been easy, I had to get the Customer Services to help set the my Mac by down loading an additional driver so it would sync correctly.

However in summary I think its is a good product, better value for money than the Garmin S4, perhaps released to market a little early, but I think it will only get better in time, and Skycaddie Customer Service has been excellent sorting out any issues I have had.

Any other questions happy to answer

Thanks for that, really useful as the SkyCaddie is one I'm thinking of.....

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Dave, I might take you up on that :thup:

Matts got about 15 drivers to test I think!! :rofl:

You just use the laser now?

It is a bit on the Chunky side but don't let that put you off as Theres no weight in it

Just use the laser now and much prefer it tbh, I think its really helped me knuckle down on the wedge yardages and instills that bit more confidence if looking to get close.

My thinking was just getting the ball that 3-4ft closer can mean the difference between a par and a birdie etc.. Just a couple of times a round and it's payed off