GPS Watch recommendations

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Skycaddie renewal is upon us and I'm thinking about getting a watch instead..... Can't be bothered with the license fee and I've got an older model so a bit of a ballache to update courses etc.

Anyone have any specific recommendations and/or good and bad experiences?

Looking at things like Skycaddie Linx, Bushnell Neo XS, Golf Buddy WT4 etc.

Thanks in advance.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one, since I'm pretty bad at judging distances. What I am wanting to do though, is get an Apple Watch and just hope that someone like Garmin etc make an App for it. That would be the ideal for me personally.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The SkyCaddie Sports is just front middle & back and you can mark distances etc and the Lynx is all singing and dancing, both will obviously be up to date with All the current course changes across the UK. The Sports you can sync quarterly but the Lynx is real time. No watches require membership unless you want to access the extra premium features.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Skycaddie renewal is upon us and I'm thinking about getting a watch instead..... Can't be bothered with the license fee and I've got an older model so a bit of a ballache to update courses etc.

Anyone have any specific recommendations and/or good and bad experiences?

Looking at things like Skycaddie Linx, Bushnell Neo XS, Golf Buddy WT4 etc.

Thanks in advance.
ifyour happy to continue paying the fee, then the Linx looks great.
If you want to drop the fee then you can still go for the SkyCaddie devices but they only produce front/middle/back ... but at least you still get updates.

I'm thinking of getting one, since I'm pretty bad at judging distances. What I am wanting to do though, is get an Apple Watch and just hope that someone like Garmin etc make an App for it. That would be the ideal for me personally.
from initial rumours you may not even get a full round of golf from the battery.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The Golfbuddy WT4 came out top watch in February's GM test of distance devices.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The SkyCaddie Sports is just front middle & back and you can mark distances etc and the Lynx is all singing and dancing, both will obviously be up to date with All the current course changes across the UK. The Sports you can sync quarterly but the Lynx is real time. No watches require membership unless you want to access the extra premium features.

Cheers Robin, like my skycaddie just an ancient unit and don't really want/need an all singing all dancing GPS unit.

You get discount :whistle:

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Very happy with my Shotsaver SG255x, although battery life in golf mode doesn't seem to be all that great. Can set out at 100% , and by the turn it is usually about 40% where it stays for most of the back nine. Always get a full 18 holes minimum from it though.

Charging it is a faff too, having to line up for little pegs on the charging clamp with buttons on the rear.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Golfbuddy WT4 came out top watch in February's GM test of distance devices.

Cheers, I like the look of this one as much slimmer than some that look enormous!

Don't normally wear a watch to play golf so don't want to have a huge bulky thing on my wrist.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers, I like the look of this one as much slimmer than some that look enormous!

Don't normally wear a watch to play golf so don't want to have a huge bulky thing on my wrist.

I never wear a watch so did wonder how I'd managed but I can't really tell I've got one on.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Can also be worn as a watch too, as it's slim and doesn't look like a bulky golf watch. They did say the logo is a little obvious though, which might put people off.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I got a WT4 in December for my birthday and I love it. Compared to a regular watch, yes it does initially feel quite bulky but I forget I have it on even before I reach the 1st tee.
Has everything I need, bunkers (front and back), greens (front, middle and back) and other hazards, it automatically times your round and logs how many miles you've walked. It does sometimes tend to swap holes say if you go onto another fairway or tee boxes are close together but it's easily rectified.
I did a small review in January, it will be tucked away in the "Reviews" section.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a WT4 in December for my birthday and I love it. Compared to a regular watch, yes it does initially feel quite bulky but I forget I have it on even before I reach the 1st tee.
Has everything I need, bunkers (front and back), greens (front, middle and back) and other hazards, it automatically times your round and logs how many miles you've walked. It does sometimes tend to swap holes say if you go onto another fairway or tee boxes are close together but it's easily rectified.
I did a small review in January, it will be tucked away in the "Reviews" section.

Perfect cheers. Must have missed that review, only saw the Bushnell Neo one but will go and find it :thup:

Johnny H

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've heard that the garmin S4 is really good.
You can pin point the hole on the green and it can be paired to your smartphone aswel.

Haven't used one, have just heard they are good

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Anne, I was going to get a closer look at yours tomorrow if that's ok?

I hope that's it's the watch your talking about :D

Have you considered the skycaddie aire ii? Just got one myself, very neat little unit, does the basics and no annual fee unless you want the extras

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a garmin s3 and love it, had for a couple of years now and never had a problem! Yardage seems spot on and you might be able to get it cheaper now the s4 (plus others) have replaced it

oh you can use pretty much all round the world and store your local course hazards too