Garmin GPS

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi All

Looking for some advice. I've previously used a Garmin Approach S6 GPs watch and enjoyed it, especially the stats on Garmin Connect.

I'm looking to renew as it's given up the ghost and I wondered if anyone had any experience of the newer Garmin models that are out there? While I enjoyed the watch and being able to give it a quick glance I found the screen on the old approach S6 a bit small to really give a proper view so I've also been considering handheld devices. SkyCaddie is just out of my price range when I factor in a yearly subscription etc.

So the Garmins I've been considering are

Garmin Approach S60 - the most up to date version of my old watch
Approach G8 - I think this maybe has a plays like feature which makes it illegal?
Approach G30

Any experience or recommendations much appreciated!
cheers all

mister v

Visit site
i have a garmin S60 and its an excellent bit of kit, use it all the time out and about not just for golf, there's an app you can download and it syncs all your shots onto your phone and does lots of clever things, I also have a skycaddie which is now redundant due to the S60.
S60 isn't the cheapest bit of kit, but im sure most reviews of it are positive and Im really chuffed with mine ......... if you order it now it'll be on your wrist for the weekend medal!!! just take some time to read the instructions as it is packed with features

Hackers76

Visit site
How do the Garmin compare to the competition? I have a gen 1 TomTom at the moment but a Garmin watch for running and the software is superb for that.

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
i have a garmin S60 and its an excellent bit of kit, use it all the time out and about not just for golf, there's an app you can download and it syncs all your shots onto your phone and does lots of clever things, I also have a skycaddie which is now redundant due to the S60.
S60 isn't the cheapest bit of kit, but im sure most reviews of it are positive and Im really chuffed with mine ......... if you order it now it'll be on your wrist for the weekend medal!!! just take some time to read the instructions as it is packed with features

cheers mate. how do you find the size of the display? I had the old approach S6 and struggled when looking at the plan of the hole as I felt the image was too small. From looking at the new S60 the actual display seems to be a bit larger than previous models.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the g8 approach and you can switch the slope feature off so it will be conforming. It was easy to see and use and fully waterproof.

I have upgraded to the sx500 and that is a significant upgrade and not cheap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the g8 approach and you can switch the slope feature off so it will be conforming. It was easy to see and use and fully waterproof.

I have upgraded to the sx500 and that is a significant upgrade and not cheap.
I use the G8 and have the slop feature off. Does all I want it to do and easy to move to get measurements to specific targets. Not the biggest screen out there but if I was buying again, I'd think about other options especially the Skycaddie touch which I think is actually cheaper now than the G8 (stand to be corrected)

Robin Hood

Visit site
Let me throw in this one......
For a hand held unit, or attached to your trolley, then I would recommend the Izzo Swami 5000.
For £100 (ish) it's a great bit of kit.

mister v

Visit site
cheers mate. how do you find the size of the display? I had the old approach S6 and struggled when looking at the plan of the hole as I felt the image was too small. From looking at the new S60 the actual display seems to be a bit larger than previous models.
its good , you can zoom in on it and find out distances to hazards. non golf related but you can choose hundreds of different watch face designs so it never gets boring. battery life realistically is 2 rounds per charge or if your wearing it just as a watch over a week
If you find a better watch on the market let me know and i'll buy it mate
good luck

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
its good , you can zoom in on it and find out distances to hazards. non golf related but you can choose hundreds of different watch face designs so it never gets boring. battery life realistically is 2 rounds per charge or if your wearing it just as a watch over a week
If you find a better watch on the market let me know and i'll buy it mate
good luck

thanks again. Yeh the Approach S6 was good but I felt I was starting to struggle with reading the face as it was pretty small, there was a fairly large border around it but the S60 looks to have a bigger display. Watch was certainly great for convenience but I was wondering whether to move to hand held for the larger display. you know what they say about old age and eyesight!

mister v

Visit site
thanks again. Yeh the Approach S6 was good but I felt I was starting to struggle with reading the face as it was pretty small, there was a fairly large border around it but the S60 looks to have a bigger display. Watch was certainly great for convenience but I was wondering whether to move to hand held for the larger display. you know what they say about old age and eyesight!
I use my range finder to read my watch!!! the skycaddie is a brilliant device the only downer is paying a subscription
Good luck to you mate