GPS Unit's Please?

Soco11

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a GPS unit in the near future and just wanted some feedback off some people who already have them.

I'm mostly interested in the Garmin S1 watch as it looks the easiest to use. Is there any major benefit to having a colour screen all singing all dancing number like the Garmin S3/5 or the Sonocaddie versions?

Thanks in advance!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a skycaddie 2.5 from Smange on here. I wasn't too sure about them either tbh so a second hand unit was ideal, all it really tells me is distances to front middle and back and any hazards I also have it set to tell me lay up distance for a pw on par 5's. It all depends on your budget and what you want from the unit.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Soco, you need to decide what you want from a GPS, some of teh more expensive ones like Sonocaddies V300 and the garmins mentioned allow you to shot-plot around a course, so distances to hazards etc will be shown, if how ever you only need distances to front/middle/back of greens then something like the garmin watch or mars100 would be ideal.

I used to use the iphone app that allowed shot-plotting, but noticed i only really used it for approach shots or when tee blocks had been moved on par3's. For this reason the garmin s1/mars100 was the ideal option, i opted for the mars as i dont like wearing a watch.

i did post quite a detailed review in the reviews section here, but here's a quick link, http://mars100.co.uk/ - at £120.00 its a cheap investment.

I've a skycaddie SG5 tells me far more than I need for my home course, distance to bunkers/hazards etc is useful on a strange course but front/middle/back would suit me better

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a SkyCaddie SG2.5 which gives front/middle/back, plus distance to hazards.

At my home course it's great. Most holes I only use distances to the green but there's a few holes where you need how far to a layup point or to carry a ditch or bunker for second shots.

When I play a course for the first time though, it would be really useful to have an overhead view of the hole. I played somewhere new to me today and even with hazard distances it's sometimes difficult to know what the line is off the tee, what club to use, or even where the green is on a par5 for your second shot.

For that reason I'd look at something with a hole plan on if I were looking again.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
as my striking is so inconsistent i really matters little to me to know that i am exactly 97 or 85 from the pin, However, i use a free iphone app, primarily to determine how far i have driven. What amazes me is how accurate it is, given that the iphone map app reckons i live in the next street down. I was very sceptical about the abilities of the iphone as a gps

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have you considered the bushnell laser range finder? I have used the other devices but the rangefinder is very impressive.