Garmin Connect

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Currently use a Tom Tom Golfer 2 and Game Golf to give me GPS functionality and game/shot analysis. I know both bits of kit are on their way out. The Tom Tom will, at some point, start to lose the ability to retain charge (based on other threads here) whilst Game Golf looks like they are on their way out of business, again based on online feedback (although I admit I have not had any issues lately).

The other tracking systems, Arcoss and Shotscope, have particular flaws for me so am not really that interested in them for various reasons. Arcoss needs you to carry your phone (for now at least), whilst the watch size puts me off Shotscope. Am intrigued about Garmin though especially as I will need to buy a new GPS watch at some point in the near future. Can it do the same as Game Golf (accepting you need extra CT10 tags I believe).

Anyone use this system and able to provide their feedback? I know their watch (S40 or S60) will be fine for me as GPS, so am looking more at the shot tracking capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

carldudley

Visit site
I have a Garmin Fenix (5x plus or something). Bought it for running but it has every feature you could want, including Golf (obvs).

It doesn't tell you which club to use etc but its a great watch for showing distances to front/middle/back of the green, recording scores and showing post-shot distances. You get all the same stats on Garmin Connect and that.

You can review the shots once synced with garmin connect and to be honest it's pretty accurate and gives good stats. Also lets you see if you're missing left/right, no. of putts etc, for a running, gps company its done very nicely, though I can't compare to other systems.

I can't speak for the golf specific watches (s40/s60) but if you want an all rounder (running, gym, swimming, golf, step counter) then i personally wouldn't look any further.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the s60 and use it without the tags. After each shot you tell the watch which club you hit. It does not track puts and the data is basic in comparison to shotscope. Shotscope have a v3 watch coming out which is smaller and better battery life. The new watch is about the size of an apple watch. When I get my v3 watch I will start using shotscope again.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the s60 and use it without the tags. After each shot you tell the watch which club you hit. It does not track puts and the data is basic in comparison to shotscope. Shotscope have a v3 watch coming out which is smaller and better battery life. The new watch is about the size of an apple watch. When I get my v3 watch I will start using shotscope again.

Thanks Chasf, does Shotscope automatically pick up shots/club in your experience? Have heard it can b a bit glitchy.

Sounds similar to Garmin, and if I get Shotscope would I also need a GPS watch, or can it do all that as well?

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Chasf, does Shotscope automatically pick up shots/club in your experience? Have heard it can b a bit glitchy.

Sounds similar to Garmin, and if I get Shotscope would I also need a GPS watch, or can it do all that as well?
Shot scope also acts as a gps watch front ,middle, back distances as well as hazzards, so shot scope does it all.
I have had few problems with shot scope it can miss small chip shots, but it was better in detecting shots than arccos.

I only stopped using it as I hated the watch. Existing user get an upgrade to v3 for £140. I would wait for v3 which should be around £200 with tags.

The system works great, switch watch on and select your course and tell it you want gps and track and that's it. You then press a button over the hole when you put out telling it how many puts you took. This then will give you decent putting stats as by pressing the button over the hole the system now knows where the hole was and can now track your put distances. My stats showed I left 80% of my puts short.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Shotscope is appalling as far as I'm concerned. They had to replace the first set they sent as it just didn't work, then the replacement set didnt record about a third of my shots and their advice was to swish the club a fair bit and take practice swings near the ball - that's not how I play and basically I haven't used it since. The watch wasnt a real problem even though it's a bit bulky but it didnt hold a charge for more than 18 holes.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shotscope is appalling as far as I'm concerned. They had to replace the first set they sent as it just didn't work, then the replacement set didnt record about a third of my shots and their advice was to swish the club a fair bit and take practice swings near the ball - that's not how I play and basically I haven't used it since. The watch wasnt a real problem even though it's a bit bulky but it didnt hold a charge for more than 18 holes.
I never had problems like that. Got all my full shots no problem. Did miss the odd small chip shot,but that's it . New watch has improved battery life

D

Deleted member 16999

I also have the Garmin Fenix 5x and use it for distances as per carldudley, I also use Game Golf for my Club data.

If you’re correct and GG goes under I have just checked and the Garmin Tags are compatible with my watch and using the Garmin Golf App it looks like it would give you exactly the same info as GG.

Not sure if you need the Fenix if you’re just using it for Golf, but the system and App looks appealing if GG goes under.

bradleywedge

Visit site
I've got the S60 watch and full set of tags, not cheap mind. I've only had a couple of rounds with they seem ok. Just start your round on the watch then when you take a club out of the bag the watch recognises the club and records the shot. At the end of the round sync your watch to the garmin golf app and it shows you every shot on every hole, showing the yardages of the shots. After you have used the clubs for a few rounds when you take it out of the bag your watch tells you what the average distance is you hit that particular club. Probably does more but not got into it yet.

I see there is an S62 watch out now, but the price is ridiculous definitely not worth upgrading for me.