gps systems

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really wanted a garmin S1 which has no subs and all courses loaded, but i cant play while wearing a watch, so that ruled that out.

Why can you not attach it to your bag, trolley or leave it in your pocket? Does it have to be worn?

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just got an Android phone with the intention of getting a GPS App for it. Firstly, can anyone recommend one to download and second, is there one that would be legal in a comp.
I believe some clubs allow them as long as you actually disable the compass etc.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just got an Android phone with the intention of getting a GPS App for it. Firstly, can anyone recommend one to download and second, is there one that would be legal in a comp.
I believe some clubs allow them as long as you actually disable the compass etc.

This has been done to death in other threads. The received wisdom is that only standalone golf GPS devices can be used in competition provided the local rule allowing them is in force. Phone apps are a no-no.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Disabling non conforming devices doesn't make them legal for use in competitions I'm afraid

Chris

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But as I understand it Android phones don't have non conforming devices pre loaded.

Providing that the device can only measure distance then it's ok. If it has a compass or wind or gradient devices, or any other non accepeted aid, then the device cannot be used even if the non conforming parts are switched off.

Chris

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Wasn't the fact it could access the net to check weather a factor too, effectively rendering all smart phones non conforming

No the net does not measure the weather at your exact location at the precise time so therefore is not non conforming. Any information available from the net could be obtained before playing

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The abilty to check info during a round - ie access to the web - doesn't in itself make a device illegal. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to take alomost any phone on the course or look at the R&A rules app!
Phones are only unacceptable if they have anything installed which is against the rules
Compass is the main one.
The vast majority, if not all, of Smartphones can't provide windspeed, accurate current temperature or slope information so are legal to use as a DMD as long as the compass isn't installed. And if you have, say, a gradient app installed on your phone, just turning it off isn't enough. It has to be un-installed!

THis is the sort of info that the app writers shouldbe making clear - never having downloaded a GPS app can someone check and see if this is mentioned anywhere..?

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Sort of answering my own question here regarding Smartphones. Although i do appreciate all your replies. It appears that they are allowable subject to the following.

Assuming local rules apply....

(Taken from R&AWebsite)
During a stipulated round, the use of any distance measuring device is not permitted unless the
Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect (see Note to Rule 14-3 and Appendix I; Part B;
Section 9).
Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must be limited to measuring distance only. Features that
would render use of the device contrary to the Local Rule include, but are not limited to:
• the gauging or measuring of slope;
• the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g. wind speed or direction, or
other climate-based information such as temperature, humidity, etc.);
• recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play (e.g. club selection,
type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or
• calculating the effective distance between two points based on slope or other conditions affecting
shot distance.
Such non-conforming features render use of the device contrary to the Rules, irrespective of whether or
not:
• the features can be switched off or disengaged; and
• the features are switched off or disengaged.
A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device
provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e. it must
measure distance only). In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be
no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules,
5. Distance-Measuing Devices (Rule 14-3)