GPS or Laser

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Im undecided what to get for Xmas was just between a watch or a rangefinder,but with something like the Garmin G3 are they small enough for you to keep in your pocket?

Kind of..yes.
Can be a bit bulky, depends on what you normally keep in your pockets!
G3 is probably better strapped to your trolley/bag

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
I had a GPS before trying out the Nikon at the GM Powerplay Golf event at the Grove. I liked it so much I bought it there and then and wouldn't be without it. The only drawback is you need to have the item line of site where a GPS can tell the distance on a blind shot. Most of the courses I play don't have blind shots so that really swings it for me.

It's very much a case of try it and see, there are many times my playing partners ask how far is that tree if they are out of position and trying to hit some miraculous recovery- some things a GPS can't measure.

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the Garmin S1 watch and find it so useful, it really has helped me with my game. However if i visit a new course i find myself wishing i had a laser as a i have no idea how far the lay ups are etc. In my opinion the laser will measure anything you want where as you are limited to what the software the GPS has mapped on it.

GPS's are great for courses you play often

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Im undecided what to get for Xmas was just between a watch or a rangefinder,but with something like the Garmin G3 are they small enough for you to keep in your pocket?

I was thinking about buying a G3 and somebody kindly "loaned" me one the other week.
My only problem with it is that the screen is quite small and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.
The watch that I have ordered has large numerals to help me, and as I say, it will show the distance of up to 4 hazards on the course with lay up distances etc.
For me, it seems the ideal thing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll probably sound like a diddy here, but isn't there a way to use both units to come up with the perfect system?

It is certainly very possible to merge data from different measurement sources. Issue simply comes down to the root mean square accuracy defined for each measurement source and the uncertainty associated with each measurement source at the time any measurement is made.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sky Caddy SGX for me. Not to keen on the annual charge but they gave me the first year's subs in the cost so was happy. I prefer knowing how far everything is and it gives me all I need to know. At my level I don't need the exact distances a laser gives and given where my ball I capable of landing, there's no target visible to lock onto

MJBett

Hacker
Visit site
GPS.
Laser doesn't let you keep and track your scores.

I use Hole19 Golf GPS App. It's free and always accurate with the distances - never had any problem with any course I played (and I've used it on a few different courses).

D

Deleted member 15344

GPS.
Laser doesn't let you keep and track your scores.

I use Hole19 Golf GPS App. It's free and always accurate with the distances - never had any problem with any course I played (and I've used it on a few different courses).

I have a scorecard and a pencil that does that :thup:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Laser is great at the moment when the greens are soft. Anything from 7iron in is stopping dead, so get the number, choose the club and go at it!

MJBett

Hacker
Visit site
I have a scorecard and a pencil that does that :thup:

Well, does your pencil give you performance stats (driving accuracy, GIR, short game recovery, putting) at the end of each round with just a click? And Hole19 also gives you aggregated stats from all your rounds (so you can feel really sad when two weeks ago you shot a 78 and now 88).

Plus, it is cheaper than a pencil ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Well, does your pencil give you performance stats (driving accuracy, GIR, short game recovery, putting) at the end of each round with just a click? And Hole19 also gives you aggregated stats from all your rounds (so you can feel really sad when two weeks ago you shot a 78 and now 88).

Plus, it is cheaper than a pencil ;)

Nah - dont need it - The number at the end of the round is what matters :thup:

chappell07

Hacker
Visit site
I've found my laser top notch this season, of course it helps to kno distances for all clubs but I love the exact yardage to pins or hazards in the fairway from the tee. The only draw backs are a steady hand is required and potentially with poor visibility (coming into winter) the laser may struggle so thats where a gps would be better
Personally though i'm laser all the way.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Both have their advantages.

Laser will give you exact distance to the pin - provided you can see it!
GPS gives you distances at a glance - even if you can't see the 'target'.
The effect of mist is over-stressed imo. As is the claims about 'actual measurement' by some GPS suppliers.

If I had to choose one, I'd go for Laser, as distance to the pin is the distance I want to be accurate. Other distances just need to be 'close', so I can pick a club to either get past or lay up.

I do know a couple of folk who have both and that works well. So Laser and (conforming) Phone GPS seems a good idea!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use both. Generally I'll use the laser up to about 120yds and the GPS outside that but sometimes I'll just feel like using one over the other.

If I had to choose one only I'd go with the laser every time.