GPS Devices

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I was looking at the Shotmiser, which gets good reviews. Only problem you have to pay for each course,so not good for nomads !

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was looking at the Shotmiser, which gets good reviews. Only problem you have to pay for each course,so not good for nomads !

£5 a course? get some free with bundles....

sounds worse than the Skycaddie deal.

Miserly indeed. :(

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Frustratingly this thread has made me even more confused and may have put me off the idea. It appears that I have 3 options, pay the annual subscription to Skycaddie and get up to date maps etc (not wanting to do this as I know it is not much but cannot get over the unit being useless if you stop paying), go for one where you pay for maps (which I am not convinced I would do if they were £5 to £10 a shot)or go for the ones with free maps which seem to have accuracy issues (further research suggests most done from googleearth). Not sure that there is an option that suits what I am looking for but will keep researching (the Sonocaddie is the only one now that still has some potential)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
RGD, could be because they map courses on the ground, and I think are still the only one to do so.

mine is due in December and I'll continue it. a good few updates this year both to desktop and SC2.5 s/ware so you do get a service.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know on the face of it £30 a year just for using the Skycaddie does sound a bit steep but when you think it's less than 60p a week. How many balls do you lose per round? Unless you use Donnays, balls cost more per round than a Skycaddie subscription

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't understand why anyone who is looking for a GPS wants to pay the extra subs every year.
Sonnocaddie does everything the Skycaddie does and more.
And
It's cheaper
It's smaller
Doesn't have a big ariel sticking out
You buy it and never have to pay out another penny for as long as you both shall live :D
That doesn't look right :eek: :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is not the cost of the subscription that gets me, I hav eno objection to that. I suppose my issue is one of principle that the devise is useless if you stop paying. You cannot use old maps or those saved on the device, nothing. That is a bit of a sharp practice as far as I am concerned so Skycaddie will not get my money.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why anyone who is looking for a GPS wants to pay the extra subs every year.
And
It's cheaper
It's smaller
You buy it and never have to pay out another penny for as long as you both shall live :D

Do you know if there is any advantage to the 350 over the 300 other than having all of the courses pre-loaded?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
......Doesn't have a big ariel sticking out

Not sure you can ever describe the sky caddy aerial as big. Anything else you are exagerating the size of Bob?? :rolleyes:

It is getting cold to be fair, that can make the old acorn feel a bit shy!! :D

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently got a Golf Buddy World Platinum & although I've only used it for 1 round it seems pretty impressive, it was giving the same distance as my mates Sonocaddie & had more detail on the hole view plus the option of getting the distance of where you want to lay up to by touching the screen.

I was tempted by the Sonocaddie but gave up waiting for the V500 which was due to be released a couple of months ago (this has the same touch screen features as the Golf Buddy).

Neither of these companies have additional charges for downloads or an annual fee.

Mind you the way I'm cutting across my drives at the moment I'd be better off sticking it to the end my Driver & see if it helps!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
And
It's cheaper
It's smaller

Let's see - Sonocaddie 300 - £300
Skycaddie 2.5 (I got it for £100 when AG cocked up the pricing) + 6 years subs = £280, seems reasonable as odds are both will need replacing before then

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Skycaddie 2.5 (I got it for £100 when AG cocked up the pricing) + 6 years subs = £280, seems reasonable as odds are both will need replacing before then

If your talking about the SC 2.5, I'll raise you the Sonocaddie V100...£80 and 6 years subs still £80 :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll tell you what. I just got back from the range and they are doing the GolfMISER.

What a miserable prospect it is if you play a lot of courses.

Seems to me the picture is clear.

Either Skycaddie, pay the extra and accept you'll be stuck for years or, better still, go for Sonocaddie.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
And
It's cheaper
It's smaller

The V350 on Amazon is only £240 so that would be cheaper as well

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Havent got one but looked into the Garmin ones. They come pre loaded and they have managed to get most courses mapped. The big downside of them for me was that they take AA batteries rather than having a lithium rechargeable, which struck me as either going to be expensive or hassle (id have bought one but for this prob). They are cheap on a popular auction site at the mo (£215 for the G5)