GPS Devices

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I know that we have been down this road a few times on the Forum but I have a birthday relatively soon and am finally looking to take the plunge and get a GPS device. I am determined to make a real effort to play more courses this year and I think this will help me no end as well as helping with my home course yardages.

Here is the thing though, I do not want to go down the subscription route so that puts Skycaddie out of the running. I have seen that some companies charge £5-£10 per course download so that puts few more out of the running like the CaddieLite.

So basically I want it all, decent, accurate GPS unit with no annual fees and cheap or free course downloads. The Golfbuddy World Platinum seems to tick all of the boxes but is the most expensive on the market so what other options are there worth looking out for.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bob likes the Sonocaddie.
There's a cheaper GolfBuddy isn't there? Tour? About £175
The new Cally uPro is available for less than £200 and is supposed to be decent.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob likes the Sonocaddie.
There's a cheaper GolfBuddy isn't there? Tour? About £175
The new Cally uPro is available for less than £200 and is supposed to be decent.

I saw the Tour version but I suppose that if I am investing in one then I want the most up to date to ensure that the technology is not out of date in a few months. I certainly like the colour touch screens on some.

The Sonocaddie V300 or V350 look like options, similar to the Golfbuddy World Plantinum but about £120 cheaper.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like the idea of GPS over a range finder due to the instant information. Range finders to me seem a bit of a faff for everyday use and could slow up play as you line up your target.

As for the free phone versions, I have thought about it but not sure how legal they are in comps as I thought that the other info that my phone gives, like weather etc made them illegal. Plus I would rather have a dedicated device as with a car sat nav as you would, I assume, get a better product from a dedicated device.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fairplay i guess.

I played last saturday in four ball with 2 guys who had the range finders, I didnt find that it took any extra time to be honest, they had the distance immediately, and usually got it whilst someone else was taking there shot.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gb, ive got my caddie pro on my phone, runs score card, stat manager, real images including zoom to pre plan shots and gives distances to bunkers lakes etc with distances to front, middle and back of the greens it cost me a massive £0 and works a treat, I've only found one course not on it so far divide also got swing by swing gps which again a
Is free or £6 with score card option.

Both work fine and saved me a shed load of money. Mcp is easier to use plus rubs score card and stat manager, swing by swing is more expensive to buy bug has the courses missing fro
Mcp. Both apps will do a full round on just under 3/4 of a battery

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have used my Dads Golfbuddy, and found it fiddly to use, and not that accurate. Used it round my home track a couple of weeks ago. Not hugely impressed.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I looked into this recently and found faults with all the alternatives that I still havent bought one. Am delaying the decision probably until spring (or if any are nicely priced in january sales).

My issues with the main ones I looked at fwiw:

Golf Buddy World Platinum - my fav option but they do not have 2 of the courses I play a few times a year (and have not replied in over 4 weeks to my emails requesting how long it takes to add), reputed to have very poor customer service

Sonocaddie V300/350 - much smaller screen than the main competitors, no one seems to stock them locally so not able to have a look at in the flesh, friend who owns one doesnt find it accurate

Garmin G5 - doesnt have a rechargeable battery but uses 2 AAs which at best would mean buying rechargeables and having to take them out and charge each time. Also missing course data for a course I play (Rumoured a G6 is coming out next year)

Callaway UPro - many courses only have basic coverage, small screen and didnt like the feel of it when used in a shop. (They are due to bring out a new model in the new year). Charge for detailed info on a course by course basis

If a b etter option doesnt appear I will prob buy the golf buddy in the new year, let us know whqat you end up with and pros/cons

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I use this one......

GoPlanet Mars

I picked mine up from Amazon a year ago for £104, might be a little cheaper now. Lifetime membership was a one-off $9.99 and each course download is $1.99. If your just after yardages to Front, middle and back of the green then this is a good piece of kit at a good price

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
Personally I use this one......

GoPlanet Mars

I picked mine up from Amazon a year ago for £104, might be a little cheaper now. Lifetime membership was a one-off $9.99 and each course download is $1.99. If your just after yardages to Front, middle and back of the green then this is a good piece of kit at a good price

Me too, Johnboy. Picked mine up on ebay for £85. I only want to know front middle and back, any more is just plain cheating! ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
With the Garmin one, you will probably get to within 30 yards of the green, and it will tell you to turn left, climb through a hedge, followed by a ditch, and then tell you the nearest green is 14 miles away.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I weighed up all the pros and cons and went with a skycaddie in the end. Given the amount of new/different courses I play, the yearly fee ended up being less of a sticking point than I thought.
You pays your money and takes your choice. Unless it's gone up this year, I'll not be unhappy.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since I've managed 15 - 20 new courses each year since I got it, Skycaddie is actually pretty good value compared to some.

Yes. Even if I only load up 10 new courses, it's less than a strokesaver.

I still don't quite know why they charge. Maybe it's a secret policy to discourage second-hand trade? (or in other words to make a few bob from 2nd-time users).

Also, lots of courses have started coming up with the new features.

The explanation on the website is dodgy really though...it's just to keep an ongoing flow of renewed subs to keep up revenue. Maybe they should just say that.