Gotta Love Ebay

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What about Gumtree ?
No fees and buyer collects !

Yes, sold some stuff on Gumtree, but you have a much larger audience on eBay especially if you live out of the cities like me. Great if someone pays your price, views and collects you have no worries about couriers or hassle of potential returns but you also get some time wasters who arrange viewing then never turn up, or turn up and try to haggle a stupid price.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about Gumtree ?
No fees and buyer collects !
Your chances of actually selling the item are 10 times better on Ebay because you have such an enormous market to sell to. Listing something on Gumtree for local collection could take months to get a bite, on Ebay as long as you don't price yourself out, you can sell pretty much anything reasonably quickly. And as @pool888 says above, can't be bothered with the hassle of people turning up to look at a £50 item and giving it the old "oh I only brought £30 would you take that?"

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sell all my items on Gumtree as I can't be bothered with Ebay and posting.

Also it seems there are quite a few horror stories with Ebay and people saying the item did not arrive or arrived damaged.

Never had an issue on Gumtree, you do get the odd time waster or people offering £10 for a £50 item. I just don't reply to stupid offers though.

I would say that Gumtree is always worth a shot as you can normally get the same price as Ebay but without the fees aspect as people get the item immediately and also get to view it.

D

Deleted member 18588

In the last 12 months I have, via eBay, sold clubs to USA, South Korea, Italy, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

In addition I have also sold throughout the UK including Northern Ireland.

It enabled me to get the best price for my kit.

This wouldn't have happened with Gumtree.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
In the last 12 months I have, via eBay, sold clubs to USA, South Korea, Italy, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

In addition I have also sold throughout the UK including Northern Ireland.

It enabled me to get the best price for my kit.

This wouldn't have happened with Gumtree.

Doesn't e bay own Gumtree?

D

Deleted member 18588

Doesn't e bay own Gumtree?

They may do, I have no idea.

The point is that their business model is restrictive as their proposition is a Classified Ads operation rather than a market place and the majority of sales are likely to be local only.

As someone else said that may be fine for those in big conurbations but it's not a fat lot of use to the rest of us.