Gotta Love Ebay

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listed a bunch of golf stuff on Ebay last week. Not expecting much interest, I started most of them at £30-35. To my surprise, the TM R11s driver that only cost me £60 second hand sold for £82! And my trolley which was £55 sold for £51 so barely made a loss on it. Two of the five items didn't even sell but I've already made what I expected to make from selling all of them! People really will stump up for anything on there.

The only pain the backside now is Ebay 'withholding my funds' for up to 21 days. Ridiculous behaviour. Need the cash a bit quicker than that so it looks like I'll be nagging them again just like last time. :(

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Listed a bunch of golf stuff on Ebay last week. Not expecting much interest, I started most of them at £30-35. To my surprise, the TM R11s driver that only cost me £60 second hand sold for £82! And my trolley which was £55 sold for £51 so barely made a loss on it. Two of the five items didn't even sell but I've already made what I expected to make from selling all of them! People really will stump up for anything on there.

The only pain the backside now is Ebay 'withholding my funds' for up to 21 days. Ridiculous behaviour. Need the cash a bit quicker than that so it looks like I'll be nagging them again just like last time. :(
why do they withold for 21 days, never sell anything with them, so not up to speed Attach files

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's odd about witholding. I sold 4 golf items as well last week, happy with the prices although not as good as you did, but I am not aware that I can not touch the money. I haven't tried to withdraw it though, it will get used soon enough so I will probably leave it there. Is that a new thing?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure they never used to withhold when I started selling, but then one time they suddenly said they do that for everyone who hasn't sold a vast number of items on there. I don't know what that number is. I've sold quite a few things now but they still withhold as if I'm a 'new seller' in their eyes.

When it happened before, I uploaded the tracking details, but then I literally had to contact the buyer to ask if he would do me a favour and log back in and actually enter a confirmation that he had received the item, and only then would they release my funds. Without that I would have had to wait 21 days. So if they don't confirm themselves this time I'll have to do the same again I expect.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure they never used to withhold when I started selling, but then one time they suddenly said they do that for everyone who hasn't sold a vast number of items on there. I don't know what that number is. I've sold quite a few things now but they still withhold as if I'm a 'new seller' in their eyes.

When it happened before, I uploaded the tracking details, but then I literally had to contact the buyer to ask if he would do me a favour and log back in and actually enter a confirmation that he had received the item, and only then would they release my funds. Without that I would have had to wait 21 days. So if they don't confirm themselves this time I'll have to do the same again I expect.

These days if you have added tracking details Ebay knows when the stuff has been delivered with most delivery companies. (that's tracked and not just a certificate of posting)

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've sold through eBay and never had to wait 21 days.
They must realise you're dodgy (Mod Edit)😂👍

Edit, before anyone kicks off it's a term of endearment to us Spurs fans 👌

( Mod Message) That may be so, but to everyone else it’s a racist comment , so it’s been edited out.

Please do not repeat it on this Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not too much heartache on the withheld funds in the end. I sent everything with recorded delivery, so once the signature was uploaded to the Hermes site, I was able to contact Ebay support and request they take that proof and release my funds, which so far they have done for each item. Slight pain that I seemingly have to contact them to hurry up this process each time, but at least I'm getting the money before too long that way.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I had it withheld before, when I changed bank accounts.

It was resolved sooner than the 21 days though, with no chasing from me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have also been stung selling things. I didn't realise how much the post and package would be to send off a club...

Also worth remembering that ebay and paypal charges also apply to post and packing charges.

I use myhermes for most deliveries, you just have to watch parcel length with drivers. Two clubs in a parcel is only £2.79 plus insurance cost.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also worth remembering that ebay and paypal charges also apply to post and packing charges.

I use myhermes for most deliveries, you just have to watch parcel length with drivers. Two clubs in a parcel is only £2.79 plus insurance cost.
How is it £2.79 for a driver with My Hermes with insurance

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hermes usually cheapest if it's low value clubs, for anything expensive Parcelforce 48 drop off at post office is around £8.50 including £100 cover or £10.00 for £200 cover, book online using code "MEM". I keep the boxes of any clubs I buy over the internet to reuse or most shops will give you a club box free as it saves them the trouble of getting rid of it, although probably helps if your a reasonably regular customer. Wait for the £1 final value weekends if you have anything expensive to sell as they are pretty frequent now.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hermes usually cheapest if it's low value clubs, for anything expensive Parcelforce 48 drop off at post office is around £8.50 including £100 cover or £10.00 for £200 cover, book online using code "MEM". I keep the boxes of any clubs I buy over the internet to reuse or most shops will give you a club box free as it saves them the trouble of getting rid of it, although probably helps if your a reasonably regular customer. Wait for the £1 final value weekends if you have anything expensive to sell as they are pretty frequent now.
Hermes under £20 would may be £2.79 that would be without pick up ( how would that work) no signature at the other end either.
Too many people looking to con the seller.
I track all mine and get a sig.
Hermes are awful for losing packages

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have also been stung selling things. I didn't realise how much the post and package would be to send off a club...
When you're selling an item it gives you a list of courier options to pick from, with a price estimate on there, so you should be able to make sure it's covered. e.g. posting one golf club with Hermes signed-for delivery was about a fiver. Posting my old golf trolley with them was about a tenner. But it's all on there when you make the listing, as long as you know the weight and length of your item.

With them delaying the release of funds, I've found the signed delivery invaluable, because that signature gets uploaded, and I've been able to contact ebay and get them to release the funds as soon as that signature appears.

P.S. for anyone wondering, they told me that the number of sales you need to have made before they cease with the withholding of funds nonsense, is 25. I'm on about 9 or 10 I think.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hermes under £20 would may be £2.79 that would be without pick up ( how would that work) no signature at the other end either.
Too many people looking to con the seller.
I track all mine and get a sig.
Hermes are awful for losing packages

I leave my parcels at a parcel shop (you can find a list of them close to you on the hermes website) receipt for parcel given and it goes straight on to the system by barcode anyway.
Signature is not actually needed by Paypal they only require track and trace. You can have a signature at extra cost if you want it and if you increase insurance it is automatic.
I have no experience from anybody about lost parcels so is that just hearsay? From what I heard after 15 years of ebay they are not much different to anybody else.