Got to much

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Understand the swing thoughts, it's very easy to fall into. Dont wait until the warm weather to see someone. Now's the time to practice and get it to a point that you can start enjoying the golf in the warm weather.
This

Get the lessons sorted now, correct the mistakes and work on the new technique and hit the new season running.

I'm someone that use to have alt least 3624 swing thoughts in my head over every shot but have now found a way to quieten the monkey head down and have minimal thoughts which of course does let me swing with more freedom. Granted the ball still doesn't go where I want it to all the time but poor shots are less destructive now and I can deal with the bad ones much better rather than having a bad hole and compounding the problem with another one straight after.

I use to be much lower and touched 10 about 5 years ago so playing off 15 was depressing but a true reflection of where my game was at. I had been playing well in since November and it had kept going into 2019. Granted my 44 points the other week and three shot cut was a bit of a "grand day out" and doesn't happen often, it's reinforced my belief that the work I am doing, especially on the short game is paying dividends

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like death by a thousand swing thoughts to me. Maybe you need to forget all of it and just find your natural swing again.

There's a chap on YouTube called Robin Matthews-Williams, I can't really link to his videos as he uses a lot of colourful language which they don't like on here - and he's a bit of an acquired taste. But he has a couple of videos on what he calls 'un-effing' their golf swing (best I can do to make that forum friendly). It involves swinging without looking at the ball, the idea being to bring it back to basics and just feel the weight of the club as you swing. Bring it back to pure feel. It's an interesting process, it might be completely useless to you, but if you're at your wit's end it might be worth a try.
Watched that robin matthews Williams he's certainly different

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Good idea. On the range I use a Swing Caddie. Tells me how well I strike the ball- or don't 😊.
If your swing doesn't feel it has changed, could it be a matter of flexibility.?
I find it hard now ,being elderly ,to turn the hips enough like the younger guys do. They hit a lower flight ball, especially irons ,that I can't achieve.
You say your ball flight is higher now, so do you think you are turning less?
Just a though
I do feel like Iam not getting through the ball well enough,as said to many thoughts trying to take bits from different lessons.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you have ideas of what caused it? Often instinct will tell you, but tinkering a lot based on unfounded assumptions about your swing would make matters worse.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it is part age, part injury problem 1-15 yards off my irons in the past 2 years

Overall since my mid 20s I am now about 40- 50 yards down on my iron length.

Handicap wise I have gone from 6 to 10 in the past two years.

This all does not stop me from enjoying the game though.

Playing in winter I lose around 20% of my summer distance.
This is what’s happening to me.
Technology has helped arrest it a bit but even that’s not enough now.
I can still shoot level one day then 10 over next day.