Got to much

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all
Iam now at the point of giving in, totally had enough.i was a steady 10 handicap player never the longest but on my day arrow straight with a sharp short game. In roughly 18 months Iam now playing off 15.8 and in all honesty probably 10 shots off that.The most alarming thing is my loss af distance. A drive was probably 220-230 now I will be lucky to carry 180 yards a p wedge was 110-115 now down to 100 yards tops.Every club is well down on distance.(chipping and putting still good)
Don't know what Iam asking really,anyone else had a dramatic loss of form.
Thanks

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My form dipped in the spring of 2015. From shooting mid 70's every week I struggled to break 90. Spraying it all over, and leaving plenty of balls out there. Went from 4.6 to 8.1, and like you a 20 handicap wouldn't have looked amiss.

This year, since retiring, the game has returned. Scores are back in the mid 70's, some lower and some a little higher. Unfortunately, there's still the odd 85-ish thrown in there but I'm also throwing in the odd round either side of par.

Relaxed and enjoying it again. Work's an evil thing.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
No changes in health I have a semi hands on job so do carry plenty of niggles but no more than before, had a few lessons but they all seem obsessed with me hitting a draw(I don't have a draw in me).i could stand on the range all year and not hit a draw.All pros seem young and taught one way.think I need a old pro who can work with what I have or don't have now.And I have noticed my ball flight is noticeable higher(always been highish).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
No changes in health I have a semi hands on job so do carry plenty of niggles but no more than before, had a few lessons but they all seem obsessed with me hitting a draw(I don't have a draw in me).i could stand on the range all year and not hit a draw.All pros seem young and taught one way.think I need a old pro who can work with what I have or don't have now.And I have noticed my ball flight is noticeable higher(always been highish).
I'm amazed they're trying to make you got a draw. I'd have thought the main thing would be to sort out what your issue is. Our Pro works with what you have and doesn't try to force something on you.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Are you hitting the sweet spot?
If you could post a video, that would help.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I feel your pain, my similar woes are documented here https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/time-for-a-change.99143/#post-1939095

Have been having lessons and working very hard because I didn't really want to give up. Played in the swindle yesterday and shot 33 points (with three blobs), it's the first time I've shot more than 30 points in more than a year - my norm last year was 22 - 27 points. It was very depressing, but the work I'm putting in is starting to pay off, the 15 degree toe down at face impact is now 1 degree up, a massive change :eek:, but very tangible and was happy with my ball striking yesterday, it is on a different plane to last year :D.

Go have some lessons, I'm sure they can sort you out.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like death by a thousand swing thoughts to me. Maybe you need to forget all of it and just find your natural swing again.

There's a chap on YouTube called Robin Matthews-Williams, I can't really link to his videos as he uses a lot of colourful language which they don't like on here - and he's a bit of an acquired taste. But he has a couple of videos on what he calls 'un-effing' their golf swing (best I can do to make that forum friendly). It involves swinging without looking at the ball, the idea being to bring it back to basics and just feel the weight of the club as you swing. Bring it back to pure feel. It's an interesting process, it might be completely useless to you, but if you're at your wit's end it might be worth a try.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Are you hitting the sweet spot?
If you could post a video, that would help.

Good idea. On the range I use a Swing Caddie. Tells me how well I strike the ball- or don't 😊.
If your swing doesn't feel it has changed, could it be a matter of flexibility.?
I find it hard now ,being elderly ,to turn the hips enough like the younger guys do. They hit a lower flight ball, especially irons ,that I can't achieve.
You say your ball flight is higher now, so do you think you are turning less?
Just a thought.

jordan1987

Visit site
Sounds like death by a thousand swing thoughts to me. Maybe you need to forget all of it and just find your natural swing again.

There's a chap on YouTube called Robin Matthews-Williams, I can't really link to his videos as he uses a lot of colourful language which they don't like on here - and he's a bit of an acquired taste. But he has a couple of videos on what he calls 'un-effing' their golf swing (best I can do to make that forum friendly). It involves swinging without looking at the ball, the idea being to bring it back to basics and just feel the weight of the club as you swing. Bring it back to pure feel. It's an interesting process, it might be completely useless to you, but if you're at your wit's end it might be worth a try.

I really enjoy his videos on Instagram. I haven't tried any of his tips out as of yet but definitely will over the summer when I am playing more.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question, im not trying to be patronising but are you comparing those 220-230 distances from summer to now winter distances? - the yardages would be about right...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As Ben Hogan said, when you are struggling the answer is usually found by digging it out of the dirt.

Just because someone was once a good player, doesn't mean they will always continue to be.

Take lessons, practice, try new things.

There's some guys that play for 20 years and don't get to being a 16 handicap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I only average 220-230 and my PW only goes 100 yards!

No idea why the OP would lose so much distance but I can feel his pain as I had a couple of seasons of steady handicap rises. What does strike me though is the pros he's been tall all trying to teach a draw. Every teaching pro I've gone to has asked me what I want from the lesson(s) and all have worked with me to improve. Not one has simply tried to teach a different shape and if they insisted on doing so and I could see no progression or reason for that I'd ask for more feedback. Most should try and improve technique without having to reinvent a swing. Look at the likes of Kaymer etc who tried to change their shot shape and struggled and they are working on their games every day

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question, im not trying to be patronising but are you comparing those 220-230 distances from summer to now winter distances? - the yardages would be about right...[/QUOT
Like for like.i know the ball doesn't go so far in winter.but all comments appreciated.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys.Will look at getting some lessons booked then it warms up a bit.And as above lots of swing thoughts over the ball which do me no favours.Its the frustration side that gets to me knowing I should be better and can be better.
Thanks everyone

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it is part age, part injury problem 1-15 yards off my irons in the past 2 years

Overall since my mid 20s I am now about 40- 50 yards down on my iron length.

Handicap wise I have gone from 6 to 10 in the past two years.

This all does not stop me from enjoying the game though.

Playing in winter I lose around 20% of my summer distance.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all
I am now at the point of giving in, totally had enough.i was a steady 10 handicap player never the longest but on my day arrow straight with a sharp short game. In roughly 18 months Iam now playing off 15.8 and in all honesty probably 10 shots off that.The most alarming thing is my loss af distance. A drive was probably 220-230 now I will be lucky to carry 180 yards a p wedge was 110-115 now down to 100 yards tops.Every club is well down on distance.(chipping and putting still good)
Don't know what Iam asking really,anyone else had a dramatic loss of form.
Thanks

You can't do that ................................ I may need some yellow Z-stars in the summer!!!

Last edited:

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
As a fairly short hitter PW 100 yards and going up with 10 yard increments in my irons,only hit driver around the 200 yard mark and get the occasional 220, i think so long as you know your distances with all your clubs you should be getting around playing to your 10 handicap.
I think people are obsessed with distance, i play with some old fellas in there 70s/80s on Tuesdays and they don't hit the ball far but make up there shots around the green and some still play off decent handicaps.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys.Will look at getting some lessons booked then it warms up a bit.And as above lots of swing thoughts over the ball which do me no favours.Its the frustration side that gets to me knowing I should be better and can be better.
Thanks everyone

Understand the swing thoughts, it's very easy to fall into. Dont wait until the warm weather to see someone. Now's the time to practice and get it to a point that you can start enjoying the golf in the warm weather.