Goodbye Golf Season '09

firestone

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, you can look at the weather report for Seattle and see temperatures in the 80's and 70's still to come, but they will be far and few between. And that isn't enough to keep my sticks in the car trunk. That's right, I have cleaned them up and put them in the garage to await March 2010. I am, admittedly, a fair weather golfer.

So how do I look back at my just-completed season on the links? In a word - FUN. It is always about fun. Started off in April in Palm Springs. Could not have been funner. Played in the weekly work league and had a blast. Played the usual fantastic courses up here and loved them all (again). Played in a charity golf tournament for the Boys and Girls Club and spent over $1000 for the round and other charitable items. Worth it. Ended on a positive note by playing the tips at my local course and posting my best score of the year. Fun.

Made plans to play next year at all three bandon Dunes courses for next March. Made plans for another trip to the Monterey penninsula for next August.

Yup - looking back, it was all about fun and friends.

So when your season ends, how do you reflect?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Last medal of the year on Saturday, so last chance to get cut down to 10.

Started the year with a golf hol to Fl. Have gone for the last 5 years. Next year will be the first for ages with no golf holiday lined up, as we are building a monster extension that is a money pit.

This season I have knocked nearly a shot off my h/cap. Nearly because I started on 11/12 and am now more 10/11, although I still get 11 shots.

It has been fun, and the course I play at has been in the best condition ever this year.

I have played more away courses this year than ever before, partly through guys I have met on here which has been an added bonus. If anyone out there isn't meeting up for a game with other forummers, I highly recommend it.

I will continue playing through the winter, but it isn't golf really. Still fun, but not golf.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
No end of season in sight for me at the moment playing the Parmer course at the Kclub tomorrow ant the european club on monday in the East of Ireland match play hopefull will get thru a couple of rounds have the 15 hole turkey league to get 4 cards in for and a end of season event plus a couple of social rounds all before xmas then have a 4 day golf hol to spain at the end of jan so may take a couple of weeks off before that.
Mike

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Got my last stableford qualifier on wednesday next week so last chance to get to cut to single figures again. After that I guess winter greens and tees will come in and it'll just be playing for the excercise and banter.
Still beats working - even in the rain.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
End-of-season over here. Even if the whether is fair (it is not at the moment) there is not enough daylight for more then 9 groups :)

Season disappointing - gone up from 12.2 to 12.5 - the 8th consecutive season without a cut although nowadays I regularly reach the buffer zone. No golf-only holiday this year but I plan to make up for that next year. January in Spain, May in Scotland and September in ??? (any suggestions?)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Season still going strong thanks to a superbly maintained free draining course that doesn't go onto winter greens. The greens were hollow tined last week and it hardly made a difference to the line or pace of the putts.
Managed to get down from 14 to single figures this year after setting myself a target of 8. Currently at 8.7 so only need one or two more good comps to get there. Would have done it in the last 2 medals but for 1 or 2 blow out holes!!
Next years target is 5.

D

Deleted member 1147

Frustrating year, all in all.
I played some great shots. Scored really well in practice. Improved my swing no end.
But, I scored badly in comp's. Got frustrated and tried too hard, leading to silly errors.
I'm happy that I got cut by 0.9, but it should have been alot more. I'm always told I should be a cat.1 player. But I don't put it together when required like real cat.1 players seem to do.
I made my scratch team debut, due to many people being on holiday & have been asked if I'll fill in in future if req'd.
So, as I said, very frustrating.

Rob_DL

Visit site
Just started playing this year, so it's the end of my first season.
Golf' s been variable but I've enjoyed the walks and the company!! :)
Still striving to manage a round under 100, best so far being 105 on a par72.
Winter will consist of more practice on the range, another session of lessons, perhaps some new clubs (will see what the pro says). I'll still try to get out on the course on the occasional days in Scotland when they're not flooded.
Got a family holiday booked for next Easter in Gran Canaria, just happens to be a golf course and coaching facilities linked to the hotel, so that's me sorted.
Damn frustrating game this golf, but I'm addicted!! :D

RichE

Club Champion
Visit site
Last comps of the season were last week. Now playing 15 hole comps (to get people round on a Saturday). Will continue to play conditions permitting - couldn't face not playing for 3 months!
Will look to play other courses at discounted rates (good article in this months GM!).
Been a bizarre year. Moved to a new club, gone from 7.7 to 9 and won the singles net matchplay....work that one out!! :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Made some progress and got cut from 14 to 11 and won a medal with several other top 3's. Swing changes are coming on but lots of practice to do over the winter especially on tempo. I'll have a putting and chipping refresher next Spring and then look to break into single figures. We still play medals/stablefords throughout the winter so I'll still play in those but otherwise will be working on the range.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Certainly well into "winter golf" now with all the rain this week :-(

Looking back, started 5.2 and ended 5.4 but considering I was up to 6.7 at one point I feel I've done OK and was a bit relieved to get it together through August and September. The highlight was finishing 2nd in our Captains final and shooting my best ever medal round (-1 gross), finishing birdie, birdie under pressure in doing so. The challenge now is to gain a bit more consistency and hit more buffer zones off 5 so the good days may get me a bit lower.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I never got my handicap down as much as i wanted, but that's because i never played in enough medals. I know for sure that my short game and putting is more accurate, my driving is better and that i'm an overall better golfer than i was a year ago.

Looking forward to some cold and frosty days on the course through winter then starting off all over again when i join a new club in the new year.

Firestone, we're actually heading over to Seattle on holiday next June and i'm planning on getting a round of golf in when i'm there... what's your recommendation for which course to play?

DMC

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its been a pretty good year,took a shot of my h/cap and won a few club events along the way. Had some great away days met some 'interesting' people,and most importantly i enjoyed myself.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where do you play?
Aldwickbury Park, Harpenden.

I've never 3 putt so many times as I did there. x
So did I when I first joined back in May!! I struggled to break 100 when I was trying to get a handicap, which isn't too clever when you consider I was off 13 at my previous club. The greens are treacherous. It took me about 15 rounds before I started to ge a feel for them. Now I love them and feel that we have some of the best and quickest greens in Hertfordshire. They always catch out visiting golfers, (and a lot of members) :)

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
End of season no chance. Just played the first round of our winter league. No bit of bad weather is going to put us off even in North Yorkshire.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just started playing this year, so it's the end of my first season.
Golf' s been variable but I've enjoyed the walks and the company!! :)
Still striving to manage a round under 100, best so far being 105 on a par72.
Winter will consist of more practice on the range, another session of lessons, perhaps some new clubs (will see what the pro says). I'll still try to get out on the course on the occasional days in Scotland when they're not flooded.
Got a family holiday booked for next Easter in Gran Canaria, just happens to be a golf course and coaching facilities linked to the hotel, so that's me sorted.
Damn frustrating game this golf, but I'm addicted!! :D

What golf course will you be playing in Gran Canaria?
Just wondering as I holiday there quite a bit. :cool:
And welcome to the forum.

Golfmmad.