Good weather - Dehydration.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With all this great weather at the moment I just want to remind everyone to drink plenty.

On a normal round I would drink 1L of WATER, sometimes I would have small bottle of Lucozade Sport. Out the other night and I had 1.5L on the round and was still a bit dehydrated because of the 22deg heat for 3 hours.

<font color="brown">Remember that if you stay hydrated you will score better as it helps concentration.

May I also give a shameless plug to the bottle holders for the trolleys, I never bothered too much before as it was a pain in the ar$e getting the bottle in and out between shots.

PS I am just a big lad that dehydration seems to effect. I am not a doctor, so if you decide not to bother upping your fluid intake then so be it.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Good advice Ken,I usually get through 2 sports drinks and stop at the 10th for `a leak` but today in full sun no need to stop,I sweat it out.Still sweating at 8-30

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always have water on board in this heat but i also make sure that i slap on some sunscreen ( sports factor 30 )before i go out. If i hadn't put any on this morning , i'd be burnt to a crisp right now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good advice although for me I have to stick to water now (dietician has said Lucozade Sport is a big no no with diabetes).

I normally take two 500ml bottles and concentrate on drinking one per nine. If it gets really hot I'll add another one at half time from fridge in the pros shop.

I'm afraid my hair is receeding like labour seats on polling day (political comment - my names Ben Elton - goodnight!) and so another good tip is to make sure you keep the old bonce covered too so the old sunstroke doesn't kick in. Apart from that liberal doses of sun cream (and block if you are hard enough to carry the look). Make sure you was your hands after putting it on though. Nothing more embarrasing on the 1st than your greasy hands letting the club slip and launching it down the fariway after your ball

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lads, may I share an old hill walking tip with you;

FREEZE A 1.5L BOTTLE OF WATER PRIOR TO PLAYING.

This will then gradually thaw thus providing you with a constant flow of cold water. The thawing means you don't tan it all on the front 9.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

This will then gradually thaw thus providing you with a constant flow of cold water. The thawing means you don't tan it all on the front 9.

Probably one of the best tips for summer I can think of. One point of order though - don't fill the container up to the brim or it might burst/crack in the freezer. Ice has a greater volume than water for reasons I can't explain.

Other thing that seems a good idea is to top up with something 'isotonic' as I believe these drinks are electrolyte balanced. You can also buy electrolyte powders to mix - designed for recovering from dehydration brought on through heat stroke or (ahem) shall we say, a delicate stomach while abroad, but it's all much the same IMHO.

Something like an effervscent Berrocca losenge or a dispersable multivitamin & mineral tablet lobbed in the water bottle before freezing can't be a bad move as an alternative I guess.

Note: This tip goes up there with 'top golf tips BillyG has heard on the GM forum' along with Nikwaking the bag.

bill

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must admit, i got caught out yesterday, I always carry a drink but only 1 litre yesterday.

Was out for over 4 hours yesterday (course was uphill and down dale, next time a trolley is a must)

I think i suffered a little heat stroke and definitly got a nice tan. I try to drink 8 litres a day (comes from marines) but just didnt expect it to be 23+ degrees.

Lesson well learnt there i tell thee!

Good post ken!

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
isotonics drinks can easily be made at home just make your normal juice and water concoction and add a pinch of salt,learnt this in my rugby days.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I drank 4 pints of ribena this morning, a sports bottle on way round, lucozad sport now and will try and get another two pints of ribena in before bed, still feel like i am dehydrated.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Interesting Madandra; I used to do that in my climbing /walking days - I learned it from a golfer....