Good place for beginner in Leeds / Wakefield area?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mate of mine has just retired and wants to take up golf.

I've suggested he starts with group lessons.

Can anyone recommend a club round that way who have a good set up for beginners?

I know from personal experience up in Newcastle that the standard can vary greatly, so some recommendations would be appreciated.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Roundhay but may be wrong side of Leeds.
City of Wakefield, a decent muni
or Lofthouse Hill

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine has just retired and wants to take up golf.

I've suggested he starts with group lessons.

Can anyone recommend a club round that way who have a good set up for beginners?

I know from personal experience up in Newcastle that the standard can vary greatly, so some recommendations would be appreciated.

Oulton Hall GC is his nearest. 27 holes, Good driving range & instruction, I understand, but there maybe issues with tee times as may have to compete with Hotel guests. Various types of membership are available I understand.

But as he's retired I'd suggest that an easy 30 min drive would get him to either 9 hole, Roundhay Muni. or Wike Ridge GC (Leeds Golf Centre) 18 hole with 12 hole Par 3 facility as well as the most extensive practice & coaching facilities in the area..... perfect for new starters.... especially those on there own.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played at Wike Ridge and the whole set up there is smashing, a great place to start I would say. Apparently this years captain is a top bloke as well ?.

I haven't played at Roundhay but I played a corporate pro am with the pro from there a couple of years ago. Cracking bloke, excellent teacher (he gave a mini lesson beforehand that really helped me), and really understood what the members there needed.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played at Wike Ridge and the whole set up there is smashing, a great place to start I would say. Apparently this years captain is a top bloke as well ?.

I haven't played at Roundhay but I played a corporate pro am with the pro from there a couple of years ago. Cracking bloke, excellent teacher (he gave a mini lesson beforehand that really helped me), and really understood what the members there needed.

How much did he pay you to say that?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. Wike Ridge and Roundhay are the wrong side of Leeds for him, really needs to be South Leeds / Wakefield area.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those local, what is Garforth like? Reviews seem good, location wise looks right.
2021 for my Captaincy, mate. :)
Garforth a bit pricey for a first Club... OK in Summer but very boggy in the winter. Garforth Driving Range (nothing to do with the Golf Club) is a great facility nearby for coaching & cheap Clubs etc. He needs an early visit here IMO
As a new starter to the game I'd say Oulton Hall GC https://www.oultonhallhotel.co.uk/golf/membership/ is his best bet. Being retired the Hotel won't impact very much on when he wants to play. Wakefield is not far away but an unnecessary journey I'd say.
EDIT - If he wants a Trad Club then either Garforth, Wakefield (as Rulefan says not City but has a £600 joining fee) or Howley Hall are all 20 mins from Rothwell & would be good, though I think all of them are shut at the moment due to wetness.... Leeds clay!!

Last edited:

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
2021 for my Captaincy, mate. :)
Garforth a bit pricey for a first Club... OK in Summer but very boggy in the winter. Garforth Driving Range (nothing to do with the Golf Club) is a great facility nearby for coaching & cheap Clubs etc. He needs an early visit here IMO
As a new starter to the game I'd say Oulton Hall GC https://www.oultonhallhotel.co.uk/golf/membership/ is his best bet. Being retired the Hotel won't impact very much on when he wants to play. Wakefield is not far away but an unnecessary journey I'd say.
EDIT - If he wants a Trad Club then either Garforth, Wakefield (as Rulefan says not City but has a £600 joining fee) or Howley Hall are all 20 mins from Rothwell & would be good, though I think all of them are shut at the moment due to wetness.... Leeds clay!!
with you bee captain next year Dave you should get a forum meet going

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try the 9 hole course at Woolley. It will be fairly dry up there at the moment.

http://www.woolleyparkgolfclub.co.uk/par3course/

Once it dries up a little there's a great 9 hole course at Willow Valley that's a great place to learn the game. Decent driving range as well. Won't take long to get there from Rothwell either, straight along the M62.

https://www.wvgc.co.uk/hole-description-for-fountain-ridge/
You wish :p..... If I say 'Chain-Bar' locals will understand the problem. As will those who listen to daily road-traffic reports as it's mentioned daily & where lorry drives take their wagons to burn-out. :sneaky::sneaky:
I won't go anywhere near it in the day-time.
BUT, yes...... Woolley Park GC down the M1 is yet another Wakefield/S. Leeds course to consider.
Rudie..... I hope you let us know where he goes finally & how it works out... interested.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Decent parkland members' club. NE of Leeds. Too far from Rothwell I would think.
Wakefield (as opposed to Wakefield City) is a good members' club

Wakefield is a great club, great course as well. Only played there once but was very impressed.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You wish :p..... If I say 'Chain-Bar' locals will understand the problem. As will those who listen to daily road-traffic reports as it's mentioned daily & where lorry drives take their wagons to burn-out. :sneaky::sneaky:
BUT, yes...... Woolley Park GC down the M1 is yet another Wakefield/S. Leeds course to consider.
Rudie..... I hope you let us know where he goes finally & how it works out... interested.

Grew up in WF14 mate, 48 years, I'm pretty familiar with chain bar and the pitfalls of the M62.

It's one of the reasons I sacked the UK off and moved to another country. o_O

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Will do. I have suggested he joins the forum so hopefully he will be able to tell you that himself in due course :)