Good old rust

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
does anyone do anything special to get there wedges to rust up?

I was thinkin of wrapping the shaft and grip up in a black bag (water tight) and just leaving it in the garden for a few nights, is this a silly idea or not?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do everything possible to stop them rusting. Rust might be ok short term, but (depending on the metal of your wedge) long term oxidization will eat away the metal permanently. My SW is a 15 y.o. Mizuno and I keep the rust away.
There you go, I'm the Devil's advocate!

Dave

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
wrap it in a wet towel leave it over night.

My wedges rust up if i just leave them. I be perfectly honest, im not sure how much rust is good etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a Titleist Vokey oil can finish which I bought because it was supposed to go rust and give a softer spinning shot. It is definitely rusty!!!! but does this whole thing actually work or am I better off looking at a normal finish wedge with perhaps different grooves??

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rust defo makes it spin more and to be honest, i am not really lookin at the long term it only cost me £27 quid off ebay and am sure its about £80 to buy new. As for oxidisation my old fella plays with a putter that rusted over 30 years ago and he swears its still his best stick.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
My mizuno 60 deg has started to rust now and the difference in spin is noticable.

The rust level does need to be kept in check apparently to avoid over-rusting and the grooves becoming shallow so I wipe mine off with an oily-rag and then wipe clean.

Mine have rusted without any encouragement.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
got `cleveland 588 wedges` and they rust up all the time if i just leave them ..funny thing - wife seem them in my bag and said i needed new clubs cause they were all rusty..she nearly collapsed when i told her they were £80 each... :)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha my mrs said similar thing when it came in post, She opened it and rang me at work, 'love, your golf stick is here but i think they sent the wrong one, this one is old' What ya mean its old? 'its rusty' hahaha dont you just love em!

Must admit mine has needed no encouragement but a friend of mine wanted a quick fix.