Good golf book for the beach?

mat100p

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi looking for a good golf book for the hols? prefer bio rather than instructional i look a bit silly practicing the lastest swing tip on the beach in the speedo's.
A couple of suggestions from me for any of you out there:
SAM TORRANCE : OUT OF BOUNDS (OK but if these are his best stories from 40 years on tour you've let me down Sam)
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SERGIO GARCIA :CANT REMEMBER AUTHOR ( great title the rest of book s**t)
DARREN CLARKE : AN OPEN BOOK ( really wanted to like this but just ok)

My favourite golf books are: Sam Torrance (SAM) Autobiography after 2002 Ryder CUP
Jack Nicklaus autobiography was really good
Any suggestions would be good any comments on TIGERS BIG MISS?

Last edited:

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd give Hank Haneys book on Tiger the "big miss" if I were you IMO a very poor book.

I've just read Greg Normans book absolutely brilliant and covers every facet of his life.

I've got Montys book to read next and looking foward to that.

Another I really enjoyed though its quite old now but really good was John Feinsteins Tales from Q-School.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily bio's but you could try these all of which I enjoyed...

"Tommy's Honour" which is the story of Old & Young Tom Morris
"Four Iron in the Soul" is an amusing read about life as an inexperienced tour caddie
"Caddy for Life" is the Story of Tom Watson's ex-caddie Bruce Edwards who died of ALS. This one brings out a lot of different emotions

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
I've just read The Big Miss and agree that it's not a great book.. a few interesting bits about Tiger and the way he practices/thinks, but that's it.

Try "Dream On' by John Richardson - about a middle handicapper who sets himself the target of breaking par within a year. Easy reading and a good holiday book.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Amateurs by David Niven. It's a black comedy novel about a weekend hacker who gets hit on the head by a golf ball, comes out of ensuing coma to take part in the Open! But also develops Tourette's as a side effect. Very funny book.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just finished the Irish majors, really easy to read and a really good book.

Also my personal favorite is tales from Q School, another good read and hard to put down.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Amateurs by David Niven. It's a black comedy novel about a weekend hacker who gets hit on the head by a golf ball, comes out of ensuing coma to take part in the Open! But also develops Tourette's as a side effect. Very funny book.

SMOKE MA DOBBER!!!!!!

Cracking read, felt the ending was a little rushed, but it kept me entertained throughtout. Some genuinely funny parts to it - in particular what the postman had to witness on Gary's birthday....

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It is John Niven............not David.

If you want a good [non golf] read from a different era. Bring On The Empty Horses and The Moon's a Balloon by DAVID Niven are fantastic.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you'd like some nonpareil comic writing, try 'heart of a goof' by Wodehouse.

No idea where you live, but I got the audiobook through the herts library service foc.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another vote for Dream On and also loved My Baby Got The Yips...

Just started Ray Floyd's The Elements of Scoring which is promising!