Good Fun Day Today in Captain's Final Fling

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played much this year as it has been so wet and not really felt like it! Today was captain' final fling - great golf, banter and booze - what more do you want. We have a new greenkeeper who will microtine more often - he did it about a week ago and there was sand on tees, greens etc. We used to do big hollow cores first week of April and it took a while to recover. We will now do small cores more often - but today, after a lot of wet and only a week after microcoring, they rolled the greens and they were quick - must have been 10.5 and pretty smooth despite still seeing the holes - very encouraging.

The comp today was great fun. Format:
  • 4 man team shotgun
  • Best 2 scores off 3/4 - but multiplied, not added
  • 4 holes had "a shot for a shot" - down a short and you get an extra shot - we started on 10 and had 16 points!
  • Each player had 3 specials to take at their discretion: one "kick", one "mulligan" and one "string" ( we were all given a little piece of string - about 8 inches, but one women said it was only six, that you could use as a gimmie without counting a shot)

We scored 132 and came fourth - third last hole was 7 (SI1) - all with shots and we cocked up!! The desired 9 points would have given us second place. Several drinks followed, with food - I like golf again :)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like fun. We had a fun comp today too. 4-man teams full handicap 2 best to count and all four on the 4s.

Big field and good craic despite the less than clement weather.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not played much this year as it has been so wet and not really felt like it! Today was captain' final fling - great golf, banter and booze - what more do you want. We have a new greenkeeper who will microtine more often - he did it about a week ago and there was sand on tees, greens etc. We used to do big hollow cores first week of April and it took a while to recover. We will now do small cores more often - but today, after a lot of wet and only a week after microcoring, they rolled the greens and they were quick - must have been 10.5 and pretty smooth despite still seeing the holes - very encouraging.

• 4 man team shotgun
    [*]4 holes had "a shot for a shot" - down a short and you get an extra shot - we started on 10 and had 16 points!
    [*]Each player had 3 specials to take at their discretion: one "kick", one "mulligan" and one "string" ( we were all given a little piece of string - about 8 inches, but one women said it was only six, that you could use as a gimmie without counting a shot)

We scored 132 and came fourth - third last hole was 7 (SI1) - all with shots and we cocked up!! The desired 9 points would have given us second place. Several drinks followed, with food - I like golf again :)
you know what I loathe about these (slightly) complicated formats, no two teams score it the same or right way. I've asked at the dinner table of team comps we've been in that I thought we had done well in, to find out we were last or nearly last and the other teams "didnt score it that way":angry:

D

Deleted member 1740

• 4 man team shotgun
  • 4 holes had "a shot for a shot" - down a short and you get an extra shot - we started on 10 and had 16 points!
  • Each player had 3 specials to take at their discretion: one "kick", one "mulligan" and one "string" ( we were all given a little piece of string - about 8 inches, but one women said it was only six, that you could use as a gimmie without counting a shot)

Did you spew up or fall asleep mate :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a fan of these convoluted formats but it does sound like a good day. Good news the green keeper is doing a good job. The greens have always been good. Challenging I think is the word I'm after. Hope you didn't drink too much

D

Deleted member 1740

When are we going to see the photos Stu ? ;)

This was after he'd spewed up out the back of the boozer in fleet

And this was after he'd had a little sleep and was feeling peckish!!