Good drill for correct compression?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
wanting to seriously work on compressing the ball correctly over winter which I think will have enormous benefits throughout my game.

Anyone have any tried and tested drills/formula?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
not related to compressing the ball per se but work on taking the correct divot after the ball, as that will indicate you have swung down and through correctly with the clubface

draw/scrape a line and work on a 3-4 inch long divot after the ball, if the ground is hard then it will be shallower but should still be the same result of the clubface

my pro is working on it with me based on the 'Impact zone' method

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
wanting to seriously work on compressing the ball correctly over winter which I think will have enormous benefits throughout my game.

Anyone have any tried and tested drills/formula?

One I've seen is placing left foot off the front of the driving range mat to encourage a hit down stroke.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Compressing the ball?

I've never understood what this means, if you hit it then it will deform slightly, the harder you hit it the more it deforms, is this compressing the ball?

It sounds as though the aim is to squash the ball into the turf but even with a long iron you'd need a pretty strange swing to do that, and I think you'd break your wrists in the process, can somebody explain please?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi DV - that link dosnt do it for me. Can you check it?

Crow, the aim is to squash the ball into the turf - although the longer the iron the shallow the swing plain so more of a sweep is achieved and not a sqaush. You wont break your wrists - promise! (although no responsibility can be taken for any injuries resulting I am affraid!)

I struggle with this myself and it results from too much of a slide at the ball. I think that is due to a too quick transition. Dont know what thats due to so am working on a smooth transition.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks, I think I get it, so it's not trapping the ball but ensuring you're hitting the ball while the clubhead is still descending, just before it bottoms out.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Crow, the aim is to squash the ball into the turf - although the longer the iron the shallow the swing plain so more of a sweep is achieved and not a sqaush.

I presume you mean a 'feeling' of squashing the ball into the turf and not actually doing it?

I'll probably get shot down but as far as I know, the more you hit down on the ball the more spin you'll get, and the less​ you hit down on the ball the more you'll compress it (trigonometry).

Apart from hitting down less on the ball, the only other ways to compress it more is to hit it more out of the sweet spot (if you're not already) or hit it harder.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance/simplicity...... But :D

.... If your ball position is correct, your transition is smooth an your swing is on plane. Won't the compression take care of its self?

I'm not saying every swing is perfect, including mine, but surely if the basics are sound........

DV, from what you've posted before you sound quite knowledgeable (....sometimes :D ) bloke when it comes to the game, may I suggest it's a minor aspect of your swing preventing you getting the result you want?

I have my thick skin on now so, please, feel free to shoot me down :D

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The ball is not hit into the turf. If you place a ball on a table and put a clubface behind it you will understand that this is not possible.

To compress the ball well you need to strike the ball with the sweetspot of the club and with irons this is only possible if the hands lead the clubface at impact. You must not let the clubface pass the hands by flipping the wrists.

The attached article is good for understanding how the arms and wrists should be used to make good ball compression:

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifesty...tigers_impact_position_how_to_achieve_it.html

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
DV, from what you've posted before you sound quite knowledgeable (....sometimes :D ) bloke when it comes to the game,

why thank you kind sir, you make me blush:eek:

I have a very strong tendency at impact to have the hands equal with the clubhead (ok hit but higher than it should be) or slightly behind (prone to thins, fats, shanks etc), to hit the ball properly and get maximum control and effectiveness of the clubhead the way its designed, its imperative to compress the ball and have the ball run up the face, its hard to explain but the T'interweb has a lot on it out there.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I seem to recall that there's a training club available with the leading edge ground away which will only give you any sort of result if you produce a decent hands first impact. It you scan the web diligently you'll find it. I seem to recall it's available as a 7 iron and PW in couple of different shaft flexes at around £70.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I seem to recall that there's a training club available with the leading edge ground away which will only give you any sort of result if you produce a decent hands first impact. It you scan the web diligently you'll find it. I seem to recall it's available as a 7 iron and PW in couple of different shaft flexes at around £70.

Yes - its the Tour Striker. Theres been a few posts on here regards it. I have one and use it.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ahem *cough* *cough* and is it anygood? bit of detail might help us all decide if its worth investing in

Apologies DV - I guess I could have been a bit more enlightening with my last post. The concept is that its a normal club but the sweetspot is small and the clubs bounce is about 35% at a guess. In other words, if contact is made with the ball and the hands are not ahead, the result is a stone cold top or thin. So theres only one way to hit the club.

As far as its purpose is concerned, yes, it gives feedback from the flight of the ball. Its also importnt IMO to hit off short grass or a short mat for maximum effectiveness. I guess its good in that you cant get away with the wrong impact position, unlike a normal iron.

Not cheap though but a good concept.