Good drill for correct compression?

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been told the best way to encourage a swing that compresses the ball is to practice hitting off downhill lies in order for you to extend through the impact area. Have a look at pictures of Ben Hogans swing and in particular the postion of his arms directly after impact - he's compressing the ball !, and was the best in the business at doing it.

ps it's dam difficult to do - but when you get it right you'll see the difference in the shot.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a lesson on this recently and my pro said address the ball as normal, but place a ball to the left around 3-4 inches and then make your swing, miss the first ball and strike the second ball.

This encourages an impact zone ahead of your normal address and exagerates the feeling of the swing.

Do this 3-4 times then hit a ball as normal, once you feel that clean downward strike and see the ball rocket off the clubface then you will know about compression etc.

Funny that when I did this a few weeks ago with my Callaways I found it tough, now with the Mizzy's its much easier and when playing I am striking better and taking pretty massive divots too. The Callys are rounded off at the bttom so tended to bounce off teh ground but the mizzys slice through - love it !!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had a lesson on this recently and my pro said address the ball as normal, but place a ball to the left around 3-4 inches and then make your swing, miss the first ball and strike the second ball.

wont that impede the takeaway? plus its moving the connection to outwith the bottom of the arc.

on re-reading it would you/your pro mean place a ball 3-4 inches to the right of the target ball?

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No, if you are a right handed golfer you have ball 1 which would be the ball you would normally hit, and this is the one you address.

ball 2 is then placed to the left of this, maybe just outside your left foot.
The backswing/takeaway is not impeded but the downswing and release are fpocussed on missing ball 1 and hitting ball 2. This exagerates the feeling of hitting down.
Not unlike the one who mentioned placing a tee in the ground a few inches away and striking this.

make sense?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
No, if you are a right handed golfer you have ball 1 which would be the ball you would normally hit, and this is the one you address.

ball 2 is then placed to the left of this, maybe just outside your left foot.
The backswing/takeaway is not impeded but the downswing and release are fpocussed on missing ball 1 and hitting ball 2. This exagerates the feeling of hitting down.
Not unlike the one who mentioned placing a tee in the ground a few inches away and striking this.

make sense?

yes thanks, will have a bash;)

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, if this has already been answered.

Would you still buy a tour striker, now that you have used it?

Is it for all handicaps in your opinion or best suited for lower handicaps say cat <3.

Ps that's a really interesting web page regarding the tiger impact zone socket rocket very much enjoyed that. Do you know anything about this mythical prototype he building?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ps that's a really interesting web page regarding the tiger impact zone socket rocket very much enjoyed that. Do you know anything about this mythical prototype he building?

Cheers
Andy

agreed, a very interesting one, disagree with his 'right palm facing down at impact' statement unless I'm misreading it.

The prototype I think is some sort of chain attached to a clubhead or shaft, its been 4 years since he said he was bringing it out so I 'hae ma doots' it worked as well as he hoped.

I've bookmarked all his articles though as they are a great insight into the swing

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well I contacted him, and he is taking orders for it $65 + $16 postage to Canada.

I think I'll buy one, when I get it I'll post some pictures and maybe a short review.....

I also fancy a tour striker, I think that as a back garden swinging iron into a range net you'll engrained the correct impact position, since any off centre hits will mean it dribbles off the mat.......

Cheers
Andy

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think its worth it. There are different levels like the Tour Striker and the Tour Striker Pro.

Just ensure thst you play off a hard mat or short grass for maximum effect.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
well I need to sort out my downswing to stop my spine tilting away from the target and start turning into and across the shot, until I do that then I'll never get any decent compression, I need to get some good drills to hit against a firm left side while maintaining spine angle and turning not sliding. Man this games difficult:eek: