Good deal from Skycaddie

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It does on there, but I bought mine in AG on Saturday and all the info was on/in the box.

can you post a pic showing the info (minus anything personal of course) as it seems strange they wouldnt be advertising that on their website as the subs put many people off especially if you dont play much in winter so its really only 6-7 mths use per annum

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Walking course may sound more accurate but with the information available to Garmin from the various sources they use (which is unlikely to be Google Earth) I would say the difference would be negligible.

You then have to take into account the fact the the GPS receiver is likely to have an error of say +/- 3yds (how often have you stood next to someone with the same device and got different readings?)

Then, you have to ask yourself if the carry is 151yds or 154yds is really all that important. Lets face it, if you are going to carry a water hazard at 150ish yards, you would be stupid not to try to clear it by at least 15 yards anyway to account for your inconsistent strike.

Sorry for thread-jacking by the way :D

Agree entirely with this, in a previous employment the firm I used to work for refurbished concrete frame and brickwork buildings in London. We would receive batches of 30 buildings at a time with sometimes <1 week to provide a survey. Google earth we found to accurate within 250mm when measuring the girth of a building.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree entirely with this, in a previous employment the firm I used to work for refurbished concrete frame and brickwork buildings in London. We would receive batches of 30 buildings at a time with sometimes <1 week to provide a survey. Google earth we found to accurate within 250mm when measuring the girth of a building.

I'm a little suprised at the 250mm but even so that wouldn't be true for out of the major areas where the map photo quality is notoriously poorer, and also wouldn't be useful for changes to the course either, as unless they have updated the pictures then you wouldn't be able to get anything from it at all.

For instance my course has been building new nine holes and the development is quite visible from these photos. Bing Maps shows a very small part of one hole being cut out, so is probably over 6 years old. Apple maps just shows the original landscape and so is even older than that (well before I was a member). Google maps shows the first scraping of the area and first three holes outlined for landscaping so is probably 5 years out of date.

Last edited:

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When they say they walk the course what does this mean ? I imagine they use surveying equipment to map out the course which is run by GPS.
I'm a surveyor and I'm 99.9% sure that this is how it's done. Same as when you buy a course yardage book most of the time it's done by a surveyour using GPS

I for one wouldn't pay the subs for the sky caddie BUT if your happy with it and it gives you confidence then why not

Also this surveying equipment will be accurate to around 30mm which is more than good enough :)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a little suprised at the 250mm but even so that wouldn't be true for out of the major areas where the map photo quality is notoriously poorer, and also wouldn't be useful for changes to the course either, as unless they have updated the pictures then you wouldn't be able to get anything from it at all.

For instance my course has been building new nine holes and the development is quite visible from these photos. Bing Maps shows a very small part of one hole being cut out, so is probably over 6 years old. Apple maps just shows the original landscape and so is even older than that (well before I was a member). Google maps shows the first scraping of the area and first three holes outlined for landscaping so is probably 5 years out of date.

Do people honestly think Garmin use Google Earth for the measurements?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
apart from the source of their info isnt it the products themselves that could be causing the anomalies?
All radios and sat navs arent the same quality, different quality cat 'B' components maybe.

I played with 3 guys who used 2 garmin S1 watches, a skycaddie sgx and a laser, when we all were together and checking we couldnt get all 4 to say the same distance at the same time, to be fair there was only 1 yd difference at times, but sometimes it was as much as 9 yds which is a completely different club

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
apart from the source of their info isnt it the products themselves that could be causing the anomalies?
All radios and sat navs arent the same quality, different quality cat 'B' components maybe. [/QUOTE/]
This is true but I imagine two big company's like these are more than likely using the same technology.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As I said earlier, I too wouldn't pay for the skycaddie subscription, but if they are going to give me it for free then I'm more than happy to use it. They advertise that they are the only ones to walk courses so if I can get that accuracy for free then it's a no brainer.