Golf's back, but not as we knew it

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon that we're back on the course. I've played five very enjoyable rounds so far. What's missing is going into the bar afterwards and taking the mickey out of your mates, and vice versa, and having a general discussion about life. I completely accept the situation, but it does seem very odd walking back to your car, waving goodbye to your PP and leaving the Club. Job done. I feel quite empty on the way home.
Anyone else with similar experience?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep we have all said the same - when you finish the round it’s normally 30 mins at least of “bantz” with a bite to eat and drink etc then go home

I don’t think we have much longer to wait , July is my feeling for a few more things to be open

D

Deleted member 21258

Being fairly unsocial and a lot of the time a car park golfer, I have even found myself missing the option using the clubhouse when we do, would have last weekend on one round for instance, that surprised me. (miss playing at other courses more tho).

But what I really miss is playing as a 3 & 4 ball, at the moment we are splitting into 2 balls and it isn't quite the same.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one agreeing with this. It feels a bit soulless at times. The chat afterwards is part of the whole package of playing and it goes to show, to me anyway, how important that aspect is. I left my previous club, a hotel course, because the social side did not really exist there. The current situation is like that with knobs on.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Welcome to the car park golfer club.

Certainly not for me, roll on clubhouses reopening!

There are old boys at Newport who tell tales of bygone days when they would arrive about 8am for a full cooked breakfast, play about 9am and stay for lunch and several pints - make a full day of it and get a taxi home!!

Not sure I need to go that far, but a proper comp - or friendly 4 ball "for the beer" followed by a "reasonable" (and domestically acceptable) period in the clubhouse would be very welcome.

D

Deleted member 3432

Almost perfect at present, play some 2 ball medal comps and it will be perfect.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The social side of the game has always been important to me. Saturday was going to the club an hour before we start. Having a chat and a pint, making the draw and going out to play, come back in, share out the money over a coffee and then home. That's something I miss as well as the golf.
And chatting with other people at the club, and the staff, and new members.
Also the fact that our club never had a booking system for members so on the times I wanted a few holes I could just head up and jump onto the tee.
Sadly it will still be a while before we get back to this.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely better now we're playing 18. Played nine in less than 90 minutes and into the car and a definite feeling of "is that it?". I do miss the weekend roll ups a few beers and some good mickey taking, maybe watching the end of the game on the TV and having some really good discussions. Hoping it won't be long before we can start gain but fear it may be a good few months away yet

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Won't make any difference to me. OK, it's a bit busier at the moment but generally if I start at my usual time of 06:15 I'm done by 08:30 so the bar and restaurant aren't even open at that point.