Golfing holiday

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Thinking of starting to put a bit of money away each week with my mates ready for my 50th, 4 years away. Thinking of going away golfing or playing some top courses in the uk for my 50th. Anyone recommend any where, thinking of places other than Spain or Portugal. Dubai is a possibility or any other ideas?
Cheers

Visit site
Belek, Turkey.
Premium 5 star Accommodation, Premium all inclusive drinks. Around about 11 Premium golf courses. All accom and courses within pretty much 15 minutes driving time of each other. Probably still cheap as chips. Loved it and went often when I lived in the UK. Book the golf through Billyana. If it’s a decent size group you will probably get free airport transfer to and from resort (30 mins) and daily golf transfers as I remember.

Dubai golf used to be reasonably priced a few years back. Courses now are charging well above what I would call a fair going rate these days. Great golf if you have deep pockets. Beer expensive, food cheap. If you do go, try and find a pub on a Friday that does a ‘brunch and beer’ deal. A good booze up and the only cheap way to drink. Again, this was a few years back for the brunch deals, so not sure if they still happen?

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you almost want to guarantee not looking out of the clubhouse windows watching the rain hammering down, go somewhere warm. Spain/Portugal/Turkey. Fancy something a little different, Florida or the Carolinas. Or something exotic, Thailand.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Belek, Turkey.
Premium 5 star Accommodation, Premium all inclusive drinks.
You'll only get all inclusive premium drinks at the higher end hotels (eg. Maxx Royal, Gloria Serenity, Carya Regnum). Other hotels only include ordinary drinks - decent stuff is extra.
Around about 11 Premium golf courses.
I've not counted them, but there has to be at least a couple of dozen now. They are all good, some are outstanding.
Probably still cheap as chips.
Unfortunately not. Belek has made a name for itself over the last decade and is no longer cheap. Expect a week at a decent hotel with 6 rounds of golf to cost about £2k pp.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You'll only get all inclusive premium drinks at the higher end hotels (eg. Maxx Royal, Gloria Serenity, Carya Regnum). Other hotels only include ordinary drinks - decent stuff is extra.

I've not counted them, but there has to be at least a couple of dozen now. They are all good, some are outstanding.

Unfortunately not. Belek has made a name for itself over the last decade and is no longer cheap. Expect a week at a decent hotel with 6 rounds of golf to cost about £2k pp.

Not sure where you're staying, my group stayed at Sueno Deluxe Belek in May, 7 nights 6 rounds, buggies included for £685pp

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good suggestions above.... what time of year are you going? That might make a difference!

Others?? - I went to Palm Springs CA for my 40th. Was great! Been to Sawgrass for another, that was great too (Ponte Vedre is a smashing little place) Moon Palace in Mexico is good if you like lots of facilities on site.

Talk to good golf operator, ask for suggestions and prices.... you may try and beat their stuff on line, but sometimes they surprise you!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did that for mine. Putting 50p and the odd quid in a tin for 2 years. It paid for dinner, B+B and a round at Carnoustie. Unforgettable....well hard to forget as I've got a massive framed collage of pictures on the wall at home. :LOL:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure where you're staying, my group stayed at Sueno Deluxe Belek in May, 7 nights 6 rounds, buggies included for £685pp
Sounds like a very good deal. I've never stayed at Sueno (mainly because I once played the Pines and hated it) - what's the hotel like?
What did you have to pay for flights? My experience is that if you want to fly direct to Antalya at sensible times of day, they aren't exactly bargains.
You can certainly go cheaper. The Sirene is an acceptable hotel and their Sultan course is one of my favourites. But the really good hotels like the Maxx Royal and the like are pretty pricey.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a very good deal. I've never stayed at Sueno (mainly because I once played the Pines and hated it) - what's the hotel like?
What did you have to pay for flights? My experience is that if you want to fly direct to Antalya at sensible times of day, they aren't exactly bargains.
You can certainly go cheaper. The Sirene is an acceptable hotel and their Sultan course is one of my favourites. But the really good hotels like the Maxx Royal and the like are pretty pricey.
Stayed at Sirene last year, was excellent Sueno Deluxe is even better, Sueno Golf Hotel is a little tired now, but you're basically sleeping in the clubhouse which has amazing views.

Golf wise I preferred The Sultan & Pasha last year over Pines & Dunes, but difference is minimal. What swings it for me is that as soon as you come off the course you can sit out overlooking the 4 island greens whilst enjoying the local fare (all inclusive), no need for transfers or the whole group dispersing to take their clubs back to the room.

Flights were pretty reasonable, ok we arrived quite late, and returned home at a similar time, but still cheaper than a budget airline

D

Deleted member 21258

If the UK and top courses are the specs(you didn't mention number of days or time of year, so gone Links sand based), then I would probably go for the big names :-

England(best area is NW) ....... Royal Lytham & St Annes / Royal Birkdale / Hillside / Formby (maybe Royal Liverpool)

or

Scotland....Cant really go wrong with St Andrews or Muirfield / Gullane area (maybe North Berwick, loads of courses in that area)

or if

Ireland(kind of UK)...Tralee, then Tralee and then Tralee again, No 1 course in the UK & I ;)

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
My birthday is in October so it would be around that time of year.
In uk I would be looking at links courses like the open courses to make it special. If I was to go abroad I would like somewhere great value but with top courses.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My birthday is in October so it would be around that time of year.
In uk I would be looking at links courses like the open courses to make it special. If I was to go abroad I would like somewhere great value but with top courses.
Just a FYI, there are two possible downsides to October in Turkey:
1. Many courses do overseeding around that time, and ban buggies. Check in advance booking anything.
2. The biting insects seem to come out in force around then, and of course you'll want to wear shorts because of the warmth. Not a good combination!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
St Andrews is special, loads of courses, but you must play the Old Course. Town is great as well.
I would agree with this. You don't necessarily have to play the Old Course as there are lots of great tracks in the area, but it is very much the cherry on the cake.

The best compliment I can pay St Andrews is that even non-golfers tend to like the place, as it just a lovely town. Most importantly, it has lots of fantastic places to drink (y)

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd also recommend Belek, Turkey. Very reasonably priced - we paid about £1200 for flights, all inclusive accommodation (Sueno Delux) and 4 rounds with buggies. Carya and National were my favourites.