Golf weekend recommendations needed!

JBlack

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Each year, 8 of us go on a three-day Ryder Cup style ‘tour’. We originally went to Spain/Portugal but have been to Celtic Manor and The Belfry for the last few years and would like to stay in the UK again this year. I’m looking for recommendations for this year and we have the following criteria in order of importance.

1. Close to a decent sized town/city for us to get some nightlife.

2. Group or self-catering accommodation like the lodges they have at Celtic Manor. Hotel rooms aren’t great with a big group.

3. Decent golf courses onsite or very nearby! We range all the way from single figures to 28 handicapers.

Appreciate the wisdom of the forum.

Andy.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forest Pines.... not self catering but annually 48 Forumers meet quite happily...... sadly Scunthorpe will not provide the night life you seek

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Probably hasn't got the nightlife you want, but I looked at staying in the Haven campsite with a group of mates just outside of Porthmadog in North Wales.

Some absolutely superb courses in the area, and the campsite is decent as well.

Further on the Peninsula is Abersoch, a very lively little town with some nice chic bars - but it's not big town/city centre nightlife. There are loads of big houses, farm lodges to rent etc.
It's one of the most beautiful parts of the world over there. Infact, I need to plan a trip back to the UK to visit the area again and play some of those links courses.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Take a look at Foxton hall in Northumberland. Bunk house above clubhouse. Discount on bar and food. Alnwick nearby. Great course and not far from lots of other amazing courses.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
St Andrews. Loads of courses to choose from, great bars in the town, and I'm sure with Airbnb you'll be able to find some suitable accommodation.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You could stay at the lodge at Manor House golf club in Castle Combe and play there and Bowood as well.

Not self catering as such by great place to stay and play.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rudding Park, Harrogate. Harrogate is a decent night out plus you have a huge selection of top quality courses within 10/15 mins of the centre - the Rudding Park course on site.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rudding Park, Harrogate. Harrogate is a decent night out plus you have a huge selection of top quality courses within 10/15 mins of the centre - the Rudding Park course on site.
Equally, plenty of airbnb options in Harrogate. Stay in the centre in a couple of flats, great nightlife and courses on your doorstep then.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What about Edinburgh, prob about as close to a major city you can get such great courses.

All the East Lothian course are withing a short drive from the city and the nightlife is great or at least it was when i was at Uni there;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which are the best courses in the area?
Oakdale
Pannal
Knaresborough
(in no particular order)

Followed by Harrogate itself and then Rudding Park. Rudding is a big open corporate course, it is perfectly fine but it does not do it for me. I think Marshy is a fan which proves it is down to the individual. The bonus of Rudding is that you can get on it on a Saturday, tough to do on the other courses. All of these are within 10-15 mintues of the centre of Harrogate by car

I have done a number of weekends in Harrogate playing a combination of the above and they make for a great 3 day trip, as does Harrogate at night.

JBlack

Visit site
Thanks everyone, appreciate the input! I'm surpised to learn that not many places have the type of accomodation that our group want (something like Celtic Manor lodges). Rudding park offers lodges but only for a smaller group and we actually live nearby anyway so there isn't puch enthusiasm in the group to play there once again.

I think I will take the advice and head to Edinburgh with an Airbnb.

Many thanks again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks everyone, appreciate the input! I'm surpised to learn that not many places have the type of accomodation that our group want (something like Celtic Manor lodges). Rudding park offers lodges but only for a smaller group and we actually live nearby anyway so there isn't puch enthusiasm in the group to play there once again.

I think I will take the advice and head to Edinburgh with an Airbnb.

Many thanks again.
prob a good move;

Gullane x3
Archerfield
Noth Berwick
Dunbar
Muirfield
Kilspindie
Luffness
Longniddry
Renaissance
Mussleburgh