Golf watches

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi all,

Would you recommend a golf watch for a high handicapper? I'm currently off 22 and my yardage does vary depending on how well I hit it!
I did have a golf app on my phone that I started using but didn't like having my phone out all the time so I have stopped.
I'm not sure if it will he beneficial to me yet or if I just want it so I have a new gadget to play with.

Thanks all.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Also, if you do think it would be beneficial. Can you recommend a reasonable priced one?

I bought a tom tom watch and hated the bloody thing so was using an APP on my phone but have now bought a range finder.

there was nothing wrong with the watch itself, I just didn't find it comfortable to wear.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a GPS watch is great, if mine broke tomorrow I would get a replacement asap. I have a Garmin S1, I suspect you can not get them anymore. It does the basics, front middle and back, no hazards or dog leg corners however. The Garmin locks onto the gps quickly and the distances seem pretty accurate when compared against the actual course markers. You will need to look at what is out there, I would recommend Garmin purely because mine works well but it is your choice, decide your price point, decide how sophisticated you want it to be and choose the particular model that fits your needs.

I think the use of one of these is bound to help your game. First off you will have accurate distances to aim for, not guesses. These will help you understand how far you actually hit each club, not your guesses. I would also suggest you go for the middle of the green distance every time. If you aren't consistent, you have already said not, then that gives you a bit of leeway if you don't hit it well. I work on that basis and very rarely go through the back of the green.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm a similar handicap to you and i use a Garmin handheld (clipped to my bag) which i find beneficial for distance to hazards, then front middle and back of greens, i'm not a member anywhere and play lots of different courses so this extra info on a course i've never played before is very helpful. unfortunately it doesn't hit the shots for me :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think a GPS watch is great, if mine broke tomorrow I would get a replacement asap. I have a Garmin S1, I suspect you can not get them anymore. It does the basics, front middle and back, no hazards or dog leg corners however. The Garmin locks onto the gps quickly and the distances seem pretty accurate when compared against the actual course markers. You will need to look at what is out there, I would recommend Garmin purely because mine works well but it is your choice, decide your price point, decide how sophisticated you want it to be and choose the particular model that fits your needs.

I think the use of one of these is bound to help your game. First off you will have accurate distances to aim for, not guesses. These will help you understand how far you actually hit each club, not your guesses. I would also suggest you go for the middle of the green distance every time. If you aren't consistent, you have already said not, then that gives you a bit of leeway if you don't hit it well. I work on that basis and very rarely go through the back of the green.
Love my Garmin S1, but for some reason over the last month it has started to lose the satellite reception ☹️

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think it would be of benefit, one less thing for you to worry about. ;)
I have a Bushnell watch which I've had for a few years now. Enough battery life for two rounds easily, front middle and back of green plus up to three hazards plus other features.
So light you don't even notice you're wearing it and waterproof enough to stand the worst of Scottish weather in all seasons.
You can pick the latest model up now for £130 to £140.

Buckbeak

Visit site
Thanks guys, agree that I think it will help. I think to start with I'd only need the basics, so probably worth finding a second hand one somewhere. I normally wear a watch when I play anyway so doubt it would notice it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love my Garmin S1, but for some reason over the last month it has started to lose the satellite reception ☹️
Try updating it. If that doesn't sort it then it may mean it is on its way out :cry:.

A bloke at my club had a very sexy Garmin S60. Lovely looking watch in its own right, even before it turns into a golf watch. I thought I'd have a look afterwards to see if I could upgrade mine. £299 :eek::eek:. Lovely bit of kit but ouch.

simonm8

Visit site
Thanks guys, agree that I think it will help. I think to start with I'd only need the basics, so probably worth finding a second hand one somewhere. I normally wear a watch when I play anyway so doubt it would notice it

Other Option is look at the small Bushnell Phantom device.. Fits in pocket or tips to bag.. can connect to app on phone yo update courses etc.. Rather good little device and sub £100

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

you can have my watch if you want it, as its sat in my kitchen drawer doing nothing.
there is a small crack on the bottom right of the screen but it doesn't interfere with the display.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Try updating it. If that doesn't sort it then it may mean it is on its way out :cry:.

A bloke at my club had a very sexy Garmin S60. Lovely looking watch in its own right, even before it turns into a golf watch. I thought I'd have a look afterwards to see if I could upgrade mine. £299 :eek::eek:. Lovely bit of kit but ouch.
Shows how tech savvy i am. Didn't even know it could update. Will have a look later

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi all,

Would you recommend a golf watch for a high handicapper? I'm currently off 22 and my yardage does vary depending on how well I hit it!
I did have a golf app on my phone that I started using but didn't like having my phone out all the time so I have stopped.
I'm not sure if it will he beneficial to me yet or if I just want it so I have a new gadget to play with.

Thanks all.
Just because you may not hit the ball the required distance with any great degree of regularity doesn't mean that you don't need to know how far away you are.
Many a time I've heard people say " why do you need to know it's 152 yards to the pin if you can't hit it 152"
You may not be able to hit it exactly 152 but knowing that you've got that distance is the starting point when choosing a club/shot.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Just because you may not hit the ball the required distance with any great degree of regularity doesn't mean that you don't need to know how far away you are.
Many a time I've heard people say " why do you need to know it's 152 yards to the pin if you can't hit it 152"
You may not be able to hit it exactly 152 but knowing that you've got that distance is the starting point when choosing a club/shot.
Reminds me if that old cheggar.

Big headed Golfer says to wise old caddy. “ do you think i can hit it 152 yds with a 7 iron” after thinking the ild caddy says “eventually”.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Was given one of these as a leaving present from work a few weeks ago but it either doesn't like me or it is not working properly. It has a mind of it's own when it comes to starting a round, sometimes it takes ages to get it up and running. When it does get going it is an excellent piece of kit.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks all.
Guy is selling a shotscope v2 in the market place, its a watch and tracking system you will be able to see were you need to improve most,

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
you can have my watch if you want it, as its sat in my kitchen drawer doing nothing.
there is a small crack on the bottom right of the screen but it doesn't interfere with the display.
If your just giving it away I'll take it of op doesn't

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

I completely agree. I haven't thew game to hit distance precisely, but it is really useful to know the distances as it helps me select the club and swing with more confidence. I've a Garmin G6 which I bought for a lot less than the RRP. It gave me distances, and I could measure then record distances hit too, which helped me learn how far I hit each club; I only measured and added to the average good clean strikes. That's helped me be realistic about how far it hit.