Golf video games

1rtomlinson

Visit site
Hi

As you may have seen on my another post I've recently got back in to golf for a number of reasons but one was playing The Golf Club 2019 on PS4. Just wondering if anyone has played them over the years and which is your favourite?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I play TGC19 on PS4 as well. I think it's brilliant, far more realistic and challenging than the Tiger games from years back. I play it a few times a week, pretty decent at it but still get my arse kicked on the online societies when I'm -10 and the leader is on -15 or something daft.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah I play TGC19 on PS4 as well. I think it's brilliant, far more realistic and challenging than the Tiger games from years back. I play it a few times a week, pretty decent at it but still get my arse kicked on the online societies when I'm -10 and the leader is on -15 or something daft.

I could never get the hang of it, when I started a career I was like -7 or -8 under and then it got progressively more difficult and I was actually struggling to break 80. I hit 3 consecutive power slices OB switched it off and never played again. I just couldn't work it out.

I wonder if any easier on PC?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Still play TGC2, still loads of support online from guys making courses so no shortage there. Used to play in societies but got kicked out of an "open to all" society after wiping the floor at a tournament. Apparently a +5 hcp was frowned upon by the 35 hcp players so they asked me to leave :p. Wish my real golf game was as good as my virtual one :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could never get the hang of it, when I started a career I was like -7 or -8 under and then it got progressively more difficult and I was actually struggling to break 80. I hit 3 consecutive power slices OB switched it off and never played again. I just couldn't work it out.

I wonder if any easier on PC?
What clubs were you using? I find the Master clubs too hard to use to be honest so I keep it on Pro clubs. You lose a little distance but way easier to control. If you're slicing shots it means you are moving the analog stick up too slowly. If you move it up too quickly you hook it, but I find that is harder to do.

For me the real difficulty was chipping, took me ages to get used to that. I still prefer to be in a bunker because the flop shots are much easier to control than edge of the green chips.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still play TGC2, still loads of support online from guys making courses so no shortage there. Used to play in societies but got kicked out of an "open to all" society after wiping the floor at a tournament. Apparently a +5 hcp was frowned upon by the 35 hcp players so they asked me to leave :p. Wish my real golf game was as good as my virtual one :(
For some reason I hated TGC2. I was 4 and 5 putting every green, couldn't get the hang of it at all. It was a big leap of faith for me to get TGC19 after that, but luckily it was on a special offer £16 to download so I did it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Masters edition of TW will never be matched, what a game that was. Hoping that with Tigers resurgence EA will see the money signs and get back into the game market, their games had way more longevity and were more fun to play for me than games like TGC. Not sure how long TGC have the PGA Tour license for, but hopefully it isn't long and EA can get back in the game. Hoping they bring out new Golf and Boxing games in the next couple of years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Masters edition of TW will never be matched, what a game that was. Hoping that with Tigers resurgence EA will see the money signs and get back into the game market, their games had way more longevity and were more fun to play for me than games like TGC. Not sure how long TGC have the PGA Tour license for, but hopefully it isn't long and EA can get back in the game. Hoping they bring out new Golf and Boxing games in the next couple of years.
The Tiger Woods games I had were not a patch on TGC. Yeah they were fun but way too arcadey, you could easily shoot -17 on a round. On TGC you actually have to play and putt very well to go -10. Tiger games were far too easy. I shudder to think what they'd be like online with people shooting -25 no doubt. :ROFLMAO:

1rtomlinson

Visit site
I did used to enjoy the Tiger Woods games - also, although it's very cartoonish , Everybodie's Golf is a great golf game!

I would say TGC is the best simulation of golf - particularly in the harder club settings however as in real life I'm a beginner so I stick to beginner clubs!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

https://www.tgctours.com/

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did used to enjoy the Tiger Woods games - also, although it's very cartoonish , Everybodie's Golf is a great golf game!

I would say TGC is the best simulation of golf - particularly in the harder club settings however as in real life I'm a beginner so I stick to beginner clubs!

Everybody's Golf on PS4 is great fun - nice shout.
The Tiger Woods games I had were not a patch on TGC. Yeah they were fun but way too arcadey, you could easily shoot -17 on a round. On TGC you actually have to play and putt very well to go -10. Tiger games were far too easy. I shudder to think what they'd be like online with people shooting -25 no doubt. :ROFLMAO:

Eh, you can make it more difficult by playing around with the settings - removing stuff like the spin control, but yeah, once you master it it can get a bit easy. More fun though for me, I quite like the slight arcadeyness of the TW games.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everybody's Golf on PS4 is great fun - nice shout.

Eh, you can make it more difficult by playing around with the settings - removing stuff like the spin control, but yeah, once you master it it can get a bit easy. More fun though for me, I quite like the slight arcadeyness of the TW games.
Everybody's Golf is fantastic! I have that as well. So much fun. Completely opposite end of the scale to TGC, I'm pretty sure I shot a round of 54 once, haha. But with the cartoon/arcade nature and easy controls it is great fun. I haven't played it since I got TGC19 though - may go back to it eventually!

On Tiger I found it silly that you could add back or sidespin after you've hit the ball to correct it, just seemed a bit daft. I'm not saying the games weren't fun, I think it was TW11 I had which was pretty good at the time. I just think nowadays I prefer EG for arcade fun, and TGC for realism, and a new TW game would probably sit awkwardly in between. Or, from your perspective no doubt, perfectly in between. :D

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
A New Tiger game would be good. Especially a "Tiger Career mode". Only lets you play 5 holes of a tournement before your back packs in followed by some "operation" style mini games to fix it. Maybe have a driving mini game thrown in as well?
Not all doom and gloom though as there is the bounce back to win the masters just to lighten the mood.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
TGC 2019 would have been a fantastic game if you could have edited the Computer generated events in the career mode ... i.e swapping Magnolia course (a user created version of Augusta) in for whatever crap course they created for their first major

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
TGC 2019 would have been a fantastic game if you could have edited the Computer generated events in the career mode ... i.e swapping Magnolia course (a user created version of Augusta) in for whatever crap course they created for their first major
True, I got bored of the single player career after the second season run through. I mostly just play in the online societies now - some interesting and well made user courses crop up in those.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Tiger Woods Masters version with the motion control was great fun, do not have as much time for games now, but do on occasions still play Everybody's Golf on the PS4.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly I think that the days of the big budget golf game release are gone. The move from Tiger Woods to Rory McIlroy golf saw that off (so that change has killed of Nike Golf and EA Golf games :):)) The RM game came out totally bare bones with so little content. Some was added but too little too late. Pity as I enjoyed those games and liked the more arcade style play. Think it peaked with the one that linked to the Weather Channel so as your round was played in the same live conditions as the course at the time. The Golf Club is OK but I found it a bit sterile, I liked the bells and whistles of TW golf. Might get something on the next generation of consoles but I doubt it. Seems that only football, NFL, basketball and Ice Hockey have the numbers to warrant new games.