Golf union alternative

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As governing bodies go, They seem to be doing a fair job. They mithered the Government to get golf back on, they've implemented a new H/C system that most amateur players have been calling for, they send out e mails keeping us informed of what is going on. I don't need my governing body to do much else really. Apart from appear much less stuffy when appearing on TV and far too posh. That aside, s'all good.
I must admit I never once heard an amateur player calling for a new handicap system .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have heard that tiddlywinks is thinking of having a new ruling body. New players might just tip the balance of the vote.

sunshine

Visit site
As governing bodies go, They seem to be doing a fair job.
Not sure about that...

They mithered the Government to get golf back on,
Unsuccessfully. They've done a really poor job, totally failed to sell the benefits of golf. Never waste a good crisis - lockdown could have been a watershed moment for golf in England.

they've implemented a new H/C system that most amateur players have been calling for,
Again poorly. If it wasn't for lockdown this would have been a much higher profile disaster. How many pages of complaints and confusion in the WHS thread?

they send out e mails keeping us informed of what is going on.
I'm not on the distribution list. What useful stuff is in these emails?

Apart from appear much less stuffy when appearing on TV and far too posh.
England golf never appear on TV. Think you're getting confused here with the R&A.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Interesting debate.

I used to play american football in the UK. The governing body for that was, in my opinion, absolutely awful. There was never well thought out plans for the future etc, really, other than the insurance they provided for us all (which in recent years has become pretty pricey for players) and putting a league structure in place, they did naff all to grow the game etc. I often wondered how you would create competition for this - answer is that its almost impossible BUT until England Golf start asking me for £50+ a year on top of my club membership fees, theyre a good governing body in my eyes!

Grizzly

Visit site
We need:
England Golf Union,
England Union of Golfers,
England Golf Society,
England society of golfers,
England Golf,
Golf England,
Society of England golfers,
Union of England Golfers,

Any more?

Society Managing English Golf?
Society of Hackers And Golfers?

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting debate.

I used to play american football in the UK. The governing body for that was, in my opinion, absolutely awful. There was never well thought out plans for the future etc, really, other than the insurance they provided for us all (which in recent years has become pretty pricey for players) and putting a league structure in place, they did naff all to grow the game etc.

In defence of the american football governing body (should that be de-fense?), it's not a great sport. You can't polish a turd, but you can cover it in glitter, and that's all the NFL do! ;)

(metaphor stolen shamelessly from another poster)

D

Deleted member 21258

Is there any differences in holding a handicap in say Wales to England ? are both unions similar and CDH can be used in the whole of the UK ?

(I ask as I may transfer my english CDH/handicap to a welsh club soon and was wondering if there are reasons I should not ?):unsure:

thanks.

NearHull

Visit site
Is there any differences in holding a handicap in say Wales to England ? are both unions similar and CDH can be used in the whole of the UK ?

(I ask as I may transfer my english CDH/handicap to a welsh club soon and was wondering if there are reasons I should not ?):unsure:

thanks.
I believe that the Welsh GU (and Irish GU) were , prior to COVID, running a trial where match play scores could be submitted as an Acceptable Score.

edit. That may be 4BB stroke play not match play

Last edited: