Golf trip in Kent

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello guys,

I will probably doing a little golf trip in Kent if everything will be good with the job.
I will probably to St. George, Cinque Ports, Princes, London Golf Club and I have to chose 2 between Littlestone, North Foreland and Chart Hills.
Which one would you leave out of the last 3 and why?
Any other advice in general? :)

Thanks for all the infos
Ciao
iMak

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Littlestone and North Foreland are linksey, and Chart Hills is very much Parkland. As you're playing 3 links plus London Club already, I would suggest that you play Chart Hills (which is very nice) and then decide between Littlestone and North Foreland.

I would suggest Littlestone is more popular with golfer on this forum, based on previous posts. I've not played either, so can't comment.

Enjoy your time in Kent!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Littlestone and North Foreland are linksey, and Chart Hills is very much Parkland. As you're playing 3 links plus London Club already, I would suggest that you play Chart Hills (which is very nice) and then decide between Littlestone and North Foreland.

I would suggest Littlestone is more popular with golfer on this forum, based on previous posts. I've not played either, so can't comment.

Enjoy your time in Kent!

Living in mid Kent and having played them all except St George's I would agree with Bratty and do Littlestone and Chart Hills. North Foreland isn't exactly a links course but I think that those two would give you more variety

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Enjoy your time in Kent!

Living in mid Kent and having played them all except St George's I would agree with Bratty and do Littlestone and Chart Hills. North Foreland isn't exactly a links course but I think that those two would give you more variety
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Have you got any suggestions on where to get the hotel? :)

I've also played in Scotland a month ago, and we were also able to get a tee time at 4pm and finish with the light, at what time do you think the last 18 holes can be played at this time of the year?

Sorry for all the questions :D

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Unless Chart Hills has changed I'd give it a swerve. The one time I played it they pushed us off tees so far forward it made a mockery of the design. Littlestone I love but personally, and based on very limited experience, I'd go to North Foreland again.

5pm should be fine for a four ball, 6pm for a two ball or if you're very quick, it's good light to 9.30pm at the moment but it is getting shorter now.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless Chart Hills has changed I'd give it a swerve. The one time I played it they pushed us off tees so far forward it made a mockery of the design. Littlestone I love but personally, and based on very limited experience, I'd go to North Foreland again.

5pm should be fine for a four ball, 6pm for a two ball or if you're very quick, it's good light to 9.30pm at the moment but it is getting shorter now.

Thanks! Why would you choose North Foreland over Littlestone?

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would agree with those who have said littlestone and chart hills. Also agree with blue in Munich that unless your playing off at least the white tees, chart hills is reduced in appeal,mso make sure you get that confirmed when booking.

As for hotels, princes golf course has a lodge/hotel which is good at the bell in sandwich is very nice. If you want something a bit basic, Weald of Kent golf course is 10 min from chart hills and they have a on site hotel.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't, I'd go for North Foreland over Chart Hills, but I'd go for Littlestone over both of them. Wasn't the clearest post I've ever made, my apologies.

Mostly when I've played Chart Hills the starter has been happy to let us off whatever tee we want. Generally I've gone off the blues which is the second from longest

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not played North Foreland or Littlestone, but purely as someone coming over on a trip I would play North Foreland as Broadstairs is a lovely place to stay.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Mostly when I've played Chart Hills the starter has been happy to let us off whatever tee we want. Generally I've gone off the blues which is the second from longest

Maybe they've learnt since my visit, but we were practically put off the ladies tees (don't go there chrisd, just don't! :) ) which meant that the bunkering became completely irrelevant, so I haven't bothered going back to check, but possibly Swingalot's post suggests they haven't. However it was a while ago.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would agree with those who have said littlestone and chart hills. Also agree with blue in Munich that unless your playing off at least the white tees, chart hills is reduced in appeal,mso make sure you get that confirmed when booking.

As for hotels, princes golf course has a lodge/hotel which is good at the bell in sandwich is very nice. If you want something a bit basic, Weald of Kent golf course is 10 min from chart hills and they have a on site hotel.

Thanks for the reply, Princes lodge sounds like a great idea! :)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
http://www.botanybayhotel.co.uk/

This hotel is on the edge of North Foreland Golf Club and is recently refurbished.

It's a short cab ride into Broadstairs from there if you'd like to go for a beer somewhere other than the bar in the hotel, which is actually very nice and overlooking the sea.

The golf courses at Sandwich are about 20 / 25 minutes away.

As someone else has said, The Bell in Sandwich is nice and so is the Lodge at Princes.

I would also recommend Canterbury (Abode Hotel is nice and very centrally located) and Canterbury has a lot more nightlife than the other places suggested, if that's what you're after.

Sandy

Assistant Pro
www.gokart.co.uk
Kings Head in Deal if you're playing RCP. Don't take the barmaid on at putting though, she'll take your money. My foursomes partner and her putting is dangerous even at 2am.
Chart and Littlestone definitely. Chart is playing nicely at the moment, greens are good. Princes also in excellent shape but rough is pretty brutal.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
http://www.botanybayhotel.co.uk/

This hotel is on the edge of North Foreland Golf Club and is recently refurbished.

It's a short cab ride into Broadstairs from there if you'd like to go for a beer somewhere other than the bar in the hotel, which is actually very nice and overlooking the sea.

The golf courses at Sandwich are about 20 / 25 minutes away.

As someone else has said, The Bell in Sandwich is nice and so is the Lodge at Princes.

I would also recommend Canterbury (Abode Hotel is nice and very centrally located) and Canterbury has a lot more nightlife than the other places suggested, if that's what you're after.

Great suggestions, thanks! Will also check something at Canterbury, we have stayed there for the 2011 Open, but we were too tired to go out :D

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kings Head in Deal if you're playing RCP. Don't take the barmaid on at putting though, she'll take your money. My foursomes partner and her putting is dangerous even at 2am.
Chart and Littlestone definitely. Chart is playing nicely at the moment, greens are good. Princes also in excellent shape but rough is pretty brutal.

Thanks for the infos, hopefully they will be like that in August as well since it is when we are planning to do the trip :)