golf specific mobility

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m in my mid 30’s but have never been very flexible. If anything, the related tension associated with chronic stress has me on par with someone twice my age!

can you recommend any particular exercises, routine or videos that offer help for mobility and flexibility that would help improve my swing?

For or me I notice a lack of flexibility on the backswing, and my left arm can bend to try and get the club into a better position at the top of the backswing

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
have 10 years on you and many sporting injuries mainly from rugby. best thing ive found is pilates, massive increase in flexibility and also core strength from doing some regular exercises, especially if you find a pilates teacher who understands golf and the movements required

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You could do a lot worse than find a Pilates group. It's much gentler than gym work but is great for strengthening the core muscles and, therefore extremely good for golf

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find a TPI Instructor and get a screening first then he/she will give you a program of exercises to follow based on what they find. Its well worth it i suffered muscle wastage down my right leg due to a spinal problem after a bad car crash and its helped immensely .

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a true mobility plan for you, you would need to be screened in person, to understand how you move. B aware that with mobility, like most other components of athleticism, there is a genetic limit and a point of diminishing returns. The demands on a golfer are different from that of a gymnast, so absolute mobility for the sake of it is not particularly useful.

Given the above, you then need to understand what is restricting you, most commonly it would be joint misalignment, lack of strength, joint shape or degeneration. Examples of these would be:

1) You have a hunched back and shoulder mobility to put your arms overhead is restricted. The rounded back restricts the movement of the scapula and the shoulder needs scapula upward rotation and tilt to allow the arms to safely go overhead. So although the shoulders appear restricted, it is a misalignment downstream causing the issue. If one joint is too stable or too mobile, others upstream or downstream will compensate to allow the body to move.

2) If you lay down on your back, someone can push your leg and raise it to a 90 angle, but if you lift the leg yourself, you don't get so far. Here you have flexibility but lack the strength to move the joint yourself, so lack mobility. There are 2 potential weaknesses - the muscles trying to flex the hip joint and the muscles resisting the flexion. The first point is obvious, the second one not so. The reason is that the body is smart, it won't let you get in a position it cannot get out of, so if the opposing muscles are weak, they will tense up to protect themselves.

3) The ability to do the splits can be limited by how deep your hip socket is. Unfortunately, you cannot choose your parents, so this is just something you are stuck with.

4) Degeneration - Inflammation in joints, like arthritis will limit mobility.

The above examples I picked specific joints in some cases, but the theory applies to the whole body. Hope it's useful.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
A DIY approach won't take you far. Each of us is unique and every work-out, stretching or mobility routine needs to be tailored to the individual.

I've personally had a few sessions with the guy who runs strongergolf.com - you should try to work with him. If you don't want to fork out the money, that website has still great content on what you need to do, possible exercises etc.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
http://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening

These tests are good and quick, should help identify specific areas you need to work on. There's exercises suggestions to.

Good find. I’ll have a go at these and see where the weaknesses are.

I definately have weak abs so I know I should work on that. Stronger abs would provide more stability.

I know now a few of you have suggested to see professional for assessment and personal plan. But I don’t think I’ll do that just yet. Would rather use the money on lessons first and see how the diy approach goes. It would no doubt help at the very least.