Golf Rage

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Golf can be a very frustrating game, as all of you will know. I was wondering where the rest of you consider the limits to be regarding ''letting off steam''. A mild expletive? Banging your driver on the ground when you've knocked it out of bounds? Certainly not throwing the clubs.
I can't claim to be a saint in this area but I'm interested in the opinions of other players regarding how you manage it, the effect it has on your game and how you feel about other players who blow their tops.

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its an interesting one- i don't tend to loose my cool much but then i think is it better to vent your frustrations and get them out of your system so you can move on?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played with some really sulky players which has ruined my round. If you can't handle the mental pressure don't play at all. Wrapping your club around a tree, hurling bag into lake and swearing are all signs that golf may not be the game for you.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Breaking clubs not only releases pressure but also provides valuable income to the course professional. We should all support our local pro.
It also acts as a good excuse when justifying a new club to the wife, as in 'I need a new driver because the head fell off the old one mid swing'.

On a more serious note, chuck clubs, swear, jump up and down in a hissy fit, whatever. Then CHEER UP and stop being miserable. I don't mind a bit of emotion, but I don't need a 4 hour sulk.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree a bad shot or bad hole do what you want to get it out of your system but then move on, don't carry it around for the rest of the game.

I know a couple of people that just loose it for the rest of the match and they are no fun to play with.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember playing a guy in a team match and he F'ing and blinding all the way round the course. My retaliation was simple .... I laughed at him.

We got to the 16th, a par 3 and he pushed his tee shot OB at this point he launched his 9 iron into the trees, without missing a beat I said 'You might want to THROW a provisional club mate'

3 and 2 ......... GET IN !!!!!!!!