Golf near Newbury?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Weather permitting, I am arranging a game with an old colleague somewhere between Southampton and Chepstow.

Newbury seems logical. Anyone know if N&C or Donnington drain reasonably well at this time of year?

Also which Donnington is the old Parasampia (on both sides of the A34) ..there's another one, is that any good?

Comments appreciated

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Local to me. Pretty much anything north of the M3 will be on clay and drainage will be an issue.

Newbury and Crookham often close the lower half of the course in the winter. The Donnington course that straddles the A34 is Donnington Grove, the back 9 by the river can get boggy. The other Donnington (Valley) is now pay and play and play OK from memory. The best draining course not too far from Newbury in my opinion is Weybrook in Basingstoke.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's 27 holes with one 9 being only being opened a few years ago, the other two 9's are the original course. I've played all 3 9's at some point and thought they were OK.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Donnington Grove is a very long walk!!!
By memory you have to cross over the A34 twice via a bridge during the round.
The greenkeeper said it was about a 7 mile walk.

Larry long dog

Visit site
Just play Ogbourne st George (7 mins drive from J15 of M4) if you want a guaranteed dry track. A few uphill and down hill lies but mint condition. Don Grove will already likely to be too wet and Don Valley likely to disappoint. West Berks (10 mins off J14 of M4) is a reasonable track too and cheap.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forgot about West Berks, decent track that seems to drain well. I can recall playing it a few winters ago when everything around was closed. They seem to have daily rollups and so in the winter compressed hours can get a bit crowded.

MACM85

Visit site
If you want to head down Basingstoke way then Test Valley, Surrey you can play Hurtmore (Short but dry) or Guildford there is Clandon which is on chalk - No thrills.

Nearer Reading, Badgemore and Temple drain fairly well from memory