New and need some advice

simonm8

Visit site
Where about are you based, I'm sure there a few people on here might have stuff sitting about you could have or use and play a round with a fellow forum member?
? like most have said second had is way to go, and unless you extremely short or tall standard length of the shelf clubs will be fine.. there are some bargains to be had out there as well.. Ie not the best clubs in world, but guy I work with just started up, been playing 4 months got a set of Mizuno mx19 plenty of forgiveness easy to hit and £50 4-SW..

super_dan79

Visit site
Just a quick update, after taking part in a series of "get into golf" style group lessons and a few rounds (if they can be called that) the subject of membership was bought up.

This club markets its self as a traditional club and were very cagey about the fee's and then there is a whooping great big Joining fee, that took me completely off guard. Looking at a few other clubs locally none of them seem to charge this and there annual fees are lower, in my limited / no experience of such things these other clubs have similar facilities and one much more.

The club with the joining fee is geographically closest to me, about half a mile away. So makes the most sense however I cant afford a massive joining fee and then the monthly fee as well. They seem to be trading off past glories as someone big in the golfing world was assistant pro many moons ago.

Is this sort of thing normal and maybe these other clubs have a joining fee as well although their websites make no mention of it as its just the expected thing to pay a fee to join?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a quick update, after taking part in a series of "get into golf" style group lessons and a few rounds (if they can be called that) the subject of membership was bought up.

This club markets its self as a traditional club and were very cagey about the fee's and then there is a whooping great big Joining fee, that took me completely off guard. Looking at a few other clubs locally none of them seem to charge this and there annual fees are lower, in my limited / no experience of such things these other clubs have similar facilities and one much more.

The club with the joining fee is geographically closest to me, about half a mile away. So makes the most sense however I cant afford a massive joining fee and then the monthly fee as well. They seem to be trading off past glories as someone big in the golfing world was assistant pro many moons ago.

Is this sort of thing normal and maybe these other clubs have a joining fee as well although their websites make no mention of it as its just the expected thing to pay a fee to join?

A lot of clubs have joining fees, but also a lot of clubs don't. Those that do will often run promotions with greatly reduced or even no joining fee for a period of time. Not very helpful I'm afraid without knowing the clubs, if they don't state they have one then it is very unlikely the will have a joining fee

Fabia999

Visit site

As above mentions, some charge joining fees, some don't. You state in original post that you have 4 clubs within a 10 minute drive. I don't think 10 minute drive is too bad. Go and have a little look around the other three. You might enjoy the other courses more.

Good luck.

super_dan79

Visit site
I've fired off some emails to get things clarified before I go visit.

It was bad enough having some poor chap show me round, introduce me to people, getting a free cup of coffee, just to find out I'm too poor to join!

I may just go play more and worry about joining somewhere in 6/12 Months.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've fired off some emails to get things clarified before I go visit.

It was bad enough having some poor chap show me round, introduce me to people, getting a free cup of coffee, just to find out I'm too poor to join!

I may just go play more and worry about joining somewhere in 6/12 Months.
As others have said you are lucky to have so many clubs nearby to choose from. Go and visit the others and get a feel for which would suit you best and ideally try and play each one and see which course you enjoy the most. It is a big investment even without a joining on fee and so you need to feel you've made the right choice

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Wilson Staff irons tend to be very decent but good value for money. I would advise you to start hitting balls down at your local range and going to some group lessons.

Golf is a hard game. Be patient and enjoy it :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is this club based in Hertfordshire ? If so I wouldn’t say it’s worth the joining fee if it’s the one I’m thinking of.. not when the other courses near by are just as good

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

A lot of clubs do have joining fees, but they often stagger the joining fee payments over 3 or 4 years, which is what ours does. Many allow you to pay the subscription monthly too, which works out about £20 a month extra on the annual fee to pay the joining fee at ours. However, since you are pretty new to the game, it would be worth playing a few rounds on a public pay and play to see whether you really enjoy it, regardless of how good you are, before committing to a membership. If you enjoy hacking around like the rest of us and end up playing a lot of golf, you will see quite quickly that paying the subscription and joining fee monthly, can save a lot of money against paying green fees a couple of times a week.

If you let us know where you are located, as has been said above, there may well be someone on here close by that will be happy to take you out for a round or two.