En route from Chepstow to Sussex......

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Opinion sought please folks... On Friday my wife and I are driving from Chepstow to near Hastings for a wedding on the Saturday so looking for a game of golf on the Friday lunchtime..

Bearing in mind we are both originally from Surrey, have played plenty of places in the South East , looking for somewhere different and not mega expensive.

Two courses sprung to mind... Sutton Green (wasn't built when I lived in nearby Burpham!!) seems reasonable for £25. Anyone been - it is any good? and Mill Ride is on teeofftimes at reasonable rate, never been there, any views / comparisons??

Alternatively, was thinking of East Sussex National... played the East way back, but not the west... but that might be too long in the car before we play! (but gets us past the bad traffic for the trip to Battle after we play!)

Good ideas / comments appreciated!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know the other courses but a twilight at East Sussex National would come highly recommended by me. I prefer the West and am always amazed where John Daly drove it to on the 17th!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd go for somewhere near to the M25/A21, leaving you with an hour or so of the journey to go.

So in west Kent / East Sussex

Lamberhurst (I'm biased)
Hever Castle
Knole Park
Dale Hill
Crowborough Beacon

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Oh yes....

On balance, I think we'll set off after the rush hour and just get down there and play Cooden Beach......... M25 best avoided at any time, but especially Friday afternoons! I used to do some work in Sutton and have to get back to Wiltshire on a Friday....never good!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Opinion sought please folks... On Friday my wife and I are driving from Chepstow to near Hastings for a wedding on the Saturday so looking for a game of golf on the Friday lunchtime..

Bearing in mind we are both originally from Surrey, have played plenty of places in the South East , looking for somewhere different and not mega expensive.

Two courses sprung to mind... Sutton Green (wasn't built when I lived in nearby Burpham!!) seems reasonable for £25. Anyone been - it is any good? and Mill Ride is on teeofftimes at reasonable rate, never been there, any views / comparisons??

Alternatively, was thinking of East Sussex National... played the East way back, but not the west... but that might be too long in the car before we play! (but gets us past the bad traffic for the trip to Battle after we play!)

Good ideas / comments appreciated!

Ex junior member of Mill Ride here, the ownership keeps changing and I haven't been back in 3-4 years. What I can say is that it is very difficult, especially off whites where the start is something like 520,420 water left,210 over water,450 water left jungle right and 490 with OoB tight right water left and water very tight to left and rear of the green but was generally in decent condition. There were plans for ages to add a gym/health club/whatever other nonsense for ages but I think that is off the table now.

The 18th is one of the best finishing par 5s around imo and the par 3s are good holes. 2 is a joke from the whites and 17 is very disconcerting until you figure it out.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ex junior member of Mill Ride here, the ownership keeps changing and I haven't been back in 3-4 years. What I can say is that it is very difficult, especially off whites where the start is something like 520,420 water left,210 over water,450 water left jungle right and 490 with OoB tight right water left and water very tight to left and rear of the green but was generally in decent condition. There were plans for ages to add a gym/health club/whatever other nonsense for ages but I think that is off the table now.

The 18th is one of the best finishing par 5s around imo and the par 3s are good holes. 2 is a joke from the whites and 17 is very disconcerting until you figure it out.

why is 2 a joke? its not that long. its a great hole. 10 is a joke hole.

I really like Mill Ride and have played in their scratch open for a number of years, have always played it in great condition.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Many thanks for the thoughts.... looking at the timings, I thought it best to get us off the M4/M25 asap and have booked to play Cooden Beach. I figure that if we leave after the rush hour and get going, its about 3 1/2 hours... bit of lunch then tee off about 2-30. Afterwards its only a short hop to the Hotel and NO M25 at 5-30 on a Friday.

Cooden has been on the list of courses to visit for a while so looking forward to it!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
why is 2 a joke? its not that long. its a great hole. 10 is a joke hole.

I really like Mill Ride and have played in their scratch open for a number of years, have always played it in great condition.

Sorry meant 5, 10 is also stupid and if you are there for the first time its hard to tell not to hit driver off 13 and go through the fairway

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cooden has been on the list of courses to visit for a while so looking forward to it!

You'll enjoy it there Ian. Course is in superb condition at the moment, but just a tip. If you miss a fairway, even by just a few yards, hit a provisional. The rough, while not long, is very very thick at the moment and it's quite easy to lose a ball.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Wife and I played Cooden on Friday... went out after a decent lunch in the clubhouse, zoomed round in a smidge over 3 hours... Let a couple of decent players through playing a knockout...

Course in really good shape and really enjoyed the variety of holes. Played well too, that always helps! Lost one ball with a nasty block into the trees on the 8th! Greens very true.

£25 each from teeofftimes...bargain this time of year.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wife and I played Cooden on Friday... went out after a decent lunch in the clubhouse, zoomed round in a smidge over 3 hours... Let a couple of decent players through playing a knockout...

Course in really good shape and really enjoyed the variety of holes. Played well too, that always helps! Lost one ball with a nasty block into the trees on the 8th! Greens very true.
£25 each from teeofftimes...bargain this time of year.

Glad you enjoyed it Ian.
Like I said, in super condition at the moment.
Greens probably the best I've seen them.