Golf, more boring than Darts????

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There quite a lot of sports I simply do not watch because I have no real interest in them.

I often wonder how people can find men in very short short shorts (by today's standard) stand around flicking their arms flicking, kicking their legs for about 5 minutes, just to see them bend down a run for 10 seconds exciting is beyond me.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
American Football I find completely ridiculous. A match takes about 5 hours so they can fit 2 hours of advertising in. They all line up and push each other then chuck a ball down the end for some bloke to catch it. It's like rugby but with extra padding and much easier because you're allowed to throw it forwards. Ironically they call it a touch-down, but unlike rugby they don't have to actually touch it down, they just have to catch the thing.

Literally the most ridiculous thing i've ever read on here. You clearly have 0 idea about the sport itself.

there is a reason why professional rugby players enjoy watching american football and have respect for them.

the second anyone compares american football to rugby it is immediately apparent they have no idea what they are talking about

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love watching American Football & golf. To the untrained eye, US footie looks like a mess but once you start to understand even the basics, it makes sense & is actually very technical.
With golf, it depends on the coverage & who's playing, as I don't enjoy just watching putt after putt, as I want to see tee & iron shots as well.
As has been mentioned, if you aren't interested in the sport, they all make difficult viewing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Literally the most ridiculous thing i've ever read on here. You clearly have 0 idea about the sport itself.

there is a reason why professional rugby players enjoy watching american football and have respect for them.

the second anyone compares american football to rugby it is immediately apparent they have no idea what they are talking about
You can't claim they're not similar? Both involve carrying an egg down the end of the pitch, and also kicking it between two tall posts to score points. For an English person rugby is obviously the nearest frame of reference.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tennis and snooker, never could understand why they are on the box, most boring thing to watch on the planet.
Snooker, I would only watch if Ronnie O'Sullivan is playing. But tennis can be good. I don't go out of my way to watch it, but players like Federer, Nadal etc are exciting to watch. At least it is fast-paced. To say you can't understand why it's on is a bit of a stretch.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't claim they're not similar? Both involve carrying an egg down the end of the pitch, and also kicking it between two tall posts to score points. For an English person rugby is obviously the nearest frame of reference.

no not really. is hockey similar to football? both involve putting a ball into a net at an opposing end?
I have no issue with people not being interested in it, but its frustrating when the uneducated (about the sport) make ridiculous claims about it.

I like rugby, but is it not ridiculous that 8 men huddle up and move towards each other with dangerous force when 99.9% of the time the scrum collapses, has to reset or leads to a penalty?

there is a reason American Football is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK (both to play and watch)

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Georgie Bingham sums it up perfectly for me:

[FONT=&quot]Georgie Bingham‏Verified account @georgiebingham Jan 10More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Re golf being boring. It’s not for everyone! Golf has a complexity & depth which not everyone understands, it’s also bloody hard which means it doesn’t appeal to the glory boys who want much success for not much work.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Direct message

[/FONT]

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
no not really. is hockey similar to football? both involve putting a ball into a net at an opposing end?
I have no issue with people not being interested in it, but its frustrating when the uneducated (about the sport) make ridiculous claims about it.

I like rugby, but is it not ridiculous that 8 men huddle up and move towards each other with dangerous force when 99.9% of the time the scrum collapses, has to reset or leads to a penalty?

there is a reason American Football is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK (both to play and watch)
In full agreement there, I'm not a rugby fan either. It just looks a fight plus a ball to me. :D

American football is obviously more similar to rugby than hockey is to football. That should be obvious. In hockey they have sticks. With American football and rugby you use the same means to move the ball - your hands/arms and feet. I'm not saying they're the same but they are similar. Like how tennis and squash are slightly similar.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

[FONT="][URL="https://twitter.com/georgiebingham"]Georgie Bingham‏Verified account @georgiebingham[/URL] Jan 10More

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Re golf being boring. It’s not for everyone! Golf has a complexity & depth which not everyone understands, it’s also bloody hard which means it doesn’t appeal to the glory boys who want much success for not much work.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#14171A][FONT="]Direct message

[/FONT]

Good point - no-one who has not played golf can quite understand the mental game (in all ways) the way that we can. Understanding the mental game doesn't make unknowns playing in any old tournament more exciting a watch for me though.

D

Deleted member 21258

Formula one or horse dressage(is it a sport!) would get my vote for the worst to watch but can understand how golf is vote high.

Cant believe people saying Tennis is bad to watch, I think it great to watch

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Formula one or horse dressage(is it a sport!) would get my vote for the worst to watch but can understand how golf is vote high.

Cant believe people saying Tennis is bad to watch, I think it great to watch
Formula One is rather dull. It seems like all the action happens off the grid at the very start, then all the cars stay in pretty much the same places for another 60 laps. You end up praying for a pile-up just for some action, then feeling bad when it happens that someone might be hurt and you indirectly wished it upon them. :mmm:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Georgie Bingham‏Verified account @georgiebingham Jan 10More

Re golf being boring. It’s not for everyone! Golf has a complexity & depth which not everyone understands, it’s also bloody hard which means it doesn’t appeal to the glory boys who want much success for not much work.

Direct message

I'd argue with the 'glory boys' comment she is confusing playing it with watching it. Yes it is hard which does put a lot of people off playing it, not watching it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd argue with the 'glory boys' comment she is confusing playing it with watching it. Yes it is hard which does put a lot of people off playing it, not watching it.
Can be inferred by extension though. I think most people who don't play golf don't typically watch it either.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Formula One is rather dull. It seems like all the action happens off the grid at the very start, then all the cars stay in pretty much the same places for another 60 laps. You end up praying for a pile-up just for some action, then feeling bad when it happens that someone might be hurt and you indirectly wished it upon them. :mmm:

The issue with F1 is that it is now a huge business with the inconvenience of a race every 2 weeks during the summer. I used to race cars and watched it avidly in the 80's, 90's, 00's. Now I wouldn't cross the road to watch it. Utter stage managed dross. Proper motorsport happens at clubman level, guys spending their own money for no return, just to turn up and get it on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The issue with F1 is that it is now a huge business with the inconvenience of a race every 2 weeks during the summer. I used to race cars and watched it avidly in the 80's, 90's, 00's. Now I wouldn't cross the road to watch it. Utter stage managed dross. Proper motorsport happens at clubman level, guys spending their own money for no return, just to turn up and get it on.
Other classifications seem a better watch, they're just not as often on TV. F1 is more about the cars they're driving than any driver skill. Whoever produces the best car in pre-season will win it. Also, it doesn't help that Lewis Hamilton is a total bell end.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Athletics came top. Folks, many of whom are on drugs running round in a circle. Really?
I didn't even notice that. The only exciting event in athletics is the 100m sprint. That's the one people care about. No coincidence that's also the one that takes the least time. As for the rest of it - who can throw this pointy stick the farthest? Who can throw this heavy plate the farthest? Who can throw this heavy ball the farthest? Who can jump over the highest stick? Who can jump over a higher stick propelled by a long bendy stick? Who cares??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

[FONT="][URL="https://twitter.com/georgiebingham"]Georgie Bingham‏Verified account @georgiebingham[/URL] Jan 10More

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Re golf being boring. It’s not for everyone! Golf has a complexity & depth which not everyone understands, it’s also bloody hard which means it doesn’t appeal to the glory boys who want much success for not much work.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#14171A][FONT="]Direct message

[/FONT]

She's spot on, and I'm working with her about coming to play at my place in the Spring, She's bringing a partner but refuses to say who