Golf, more boring than Darts????

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The bulk of Golf tournaments can be as full as dishwater to watch.
Obvious exceptions are the Majors and the RC but after that, unless someone's burning the course up or you have a real tussle at the top it can be yawnsville..
Let's face it, to a non golfer, Jordan's trip to the range at Birkdale would have been torture to watch

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw that, I'm staggered that cricket hasn't won. Can't imagine a sport more dull than that, it's like a cure for insomnia.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw that, I'm staggered that cricket hasn't won. Can't imagine a sport more dull than that, it's like a cure for insomnia.

Gotta disagree, the boring sports to watch are the ones you don't like. I love Golf, Cricket, Darts, Snooker and Football and love watching them. I hate watching Tennis, Gymnastics and Rugby and don't like to play them either.

I have great memories of watching Cricket when I was younger. My dad got Sky and they got the Ashes down under, it was live through the night, dad and I would have a few drinks watch the cricket and at 6am walk to the corner shop buy eggs, bacon, sausages and do a English breakfast and sleep till late afternoon and start again the next night.

It's all about what you like a lot of the time.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH US Pga is pretty dull and due to the way its filmed a lot of the time its difficult to follow for the casual not golfing observer.

one the whole as someone else said if you are not interested in something its not going to make you interested in watching it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH US Pga is pretty dull and due to the way its filmed a lot of the time its difficult to follow for the casual not golfing observer.

one the whole as someone else said if you are not interested in something its not going to make you interested in watching it.
yes agree with this, but why would they be watching in the first place you need sky now to view golf.
Its not like they have no choice.

people just guess in these surveys and pick something they haven’t played imo.

Darts is a pub game not a sport.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes agree with this, but why would they be watching in the first place you need sky now to view golf.

people also laugh when we call golf a sport.

golf is incredibly boring to watch for people who have no understanding of the game.

i can understand why people think golf is boring. we're standing in a field for 4 hours hitting a ball onto another piece of grass. because of this many will never even attempt to pick up a golf club

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

golf is incredibly boring to watch for people who have no understanding of the game.

i can understand why people think golf is boring. we're standing in a field for 4 hours hitting a ball onto another piece of grass. because of this many will never even attempt to pick up a golf club

You are correct with what you said mate. My better half refuses to watch golf as she thinks it goes on to long and it is boring, where as darts, she is glued to the TV and loves it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

They may remember Golf from its days on the BBC with Tarby and Ronnie Corbett and Brucey;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Any sport broken down like that is thoug tbf.

22 men kicking a bag of wind around is the most famous sport worldwide.

two people hitting a ball over a net

at least in golf nobody else touches your balls (steady now)

Most sports you win or lose depending on how good your opponent is , in golf it’s just you nobody else to blame.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I watch a USPGA comp or a Far east comp and know few if any of the players I can find golf a very boring watch. Even the Open holds only a limited fascination for me until past 2pm on the final day

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to think that baseball was an ultimate bore-fest - then one year I watched the World Series and kept up to date with what was going on in between games. I found it really interesting and towards the final game or two I had a fair idea about what was going on.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Love playing golf but struggle to watch it on the tv.

Ok you can have the odd flashes of brilliance and edge of the seat battles in a RC match, but the hours of bore fest you’ve got to endure to get to that point at times is too much, even for someone who participates and loves it.

I can’t stand cricket either or watch it on the tv, but many golfers have played it so can associate with it more, so I pigeon hole it the same as golf.

For someone who’s never played golf it’s not easy to associate with it, it’s not even a spectators sport for a neutral to go and watch and see if you can be drawn into it, unlike some sports in the list higher than Golf.

I fully understand why watching Golf is seen to be boring, it’s a background viewing sport on the tv for me, it’s not fast paced enough to be glued to the screen.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love playing golf but struggle to watch it on the tv.

Ok you can have the odd flashes of brilliance and edge of the seat battles in a RC match, but the hours of bore fest you’ve got to endure to get to that point at times is too much, even for someone who participates and loves it.

I can’t stand cricket either or watch it on the tv, but many golfers have played it so can associate with it more, so I pigeon hole it the same as golf.

For someone who’s never played golf it’s not easy to associate with it, it’s not even a spectators sport for a neutral to go and watch and see if you can be drawn into it, unlike some sports in the list higher than Golf.

I fully understand why watching Golf is seen to be boring, it’s a background viewing sport on the tv for me, it’s not fast paced enough to be glued to the screen.

I agree

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golf, especially the US coverage is dull and unless you play the game is going to be hard for a non-golfer to break into and enjoy and pique an interest to go out and play the game. The majors are different and will sometimes attract the passing viewer especially if it's a close run thing. Do I care? Not a jot. I play and I'm keen to get as many others as I can to play but TV isn't going to be a major factor. Getting them somewhere and getting a club in their hand is what is needed.

I played darts so will watch it on TV, even the very sub-standard BDO world championships on at the moment (quality of play has been poor) but I would never watch gymnastics of fishing and a host of other sports. It's a viewing choice.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love watching both golf and cricket. When i moved out of home i had to wait in for a washing machine to arrive. It was the week of the Open and an Ashes test so i pushed 2 tv's together and watched both! (Back in the days when they were on peasant tv)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Love watching both golf and cricket. When i moved out of home i had to wait in for a washing machine to arrive. It was the week of the Open and an Ashes test so i pushed 2 tv's together and watched both! (Back in the days when they were on peasant tv)

Should have got a third one and found a live float fishing competition, the thrill of that float suddenly bobbing up and down I would have been beside myself 😜😉

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I can only watch limited amounts unless it's a major or one if the other biggies, I watch more if it's a tour event in the UK. The tv coverage of US weekly tournaments is just plain boring after an hour or so. BUT nothing is more boring than American Football 😊😊