Golf in The Lakes

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So it's the time of year again when we head up to The Lakes for a week. Last year the new courses we played were Brampton, Seascale and Appleby in Westmoreland. This year we'll probably play our old faithfuls of Windermere and Kendal but room for another 2 in the 5 days we're there...

So any recommendations for courses ideally within an hour or so of Ambleside area?

Cockermouth looks kind of nice as does Penrith. Any comments/must plays? Oh - Silloth is unlikely this year as travelling up on Monday when it's cheaper and would like to try a couple of new ones.

Thanks...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooh good shout. Just checked it out and sounds nice for sure. It is nice to do something more parkland like to offset the mountain goat element of Kendal! Thanks.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ooh good shout. Just checked it out and sounds nice for sure. It is nice to do something more parkland like to offset the mountain goat element of Kendal! Thanks.

Yeah it's a really flat course and pretty tight so it's not just driver off every tee.

It also has a 9 hole course, nothing flash but good for a knock about.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah it's a really flat course and pretty tight so it's not just driver off every tee.

It also has a 9 hole course, nothing flash but good for a knock about.

I played Eden a few years ago, and it was in very good condition, but it felt "sterile".

Try Lancaster, if not too far away.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bentham is doable too! Played Lancaster on the way home year before last and it was lovely so might do the same again this year...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well we played Bentham, Carus Green (as a filler!), Eden and Kirkby Lonsdale and a welcome to wintery golf for sure. Really enjoyed Eden and Kirkby Lonsdale with the latter probably just coming out on top as it was in tip top condition and a really interesting course. Eden had cored and top dressed about half the greens which detracted somewhat from the experience and there were a few holes which were very similar to each other. Bentham was a bargain but quite wet and Carus Green was just wet. I rang them beforehand to check if any work was being done on the course as they have invested of late. I was told that the previous work was completed in June and the next lot starting in a couple of weeks. As it turned out the first 5 holes resembled a building site with lots of plant working and very muddy. A couple of temp tees and greens added to the sense of disappointment that they hadn't been up front when I asked.

Overall though a very warm welcome at every course and really enjoyed the challenge of hills, no run and a lot of wind!

Diamond

Visit site
Thought I would resurrect this thread as I am going Bowness on Windermere the first week of October.
Windermere is the obvious course but noticed Kendall also has a course and there appears to be 1 or 2 others nearby. I only have time for 1 round so any advice would be great.

D

Deleted member 3432

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I am going Bowness on Windermere the first week of October.
Windermere is the obvious course but noticed Kendall also has a course and there appears to be 1 or 2 others nearby. I only have time for 1 round so any advice would be great.

Windermere is much better than Kendal.

Not a long course but you need to be accurate off the tee and be prepared to leave driver in the bag.

It's a nice play to play golf.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a member of Ulverston and whilst I may be a bit bias it is far better than Windermere. The greens have been excellent during the last 3 years and the Northern Counties Seniors was held here a couple of years ago.If you look on the website you will see 2 golf now bookings usually available on a daily basis for around £15. There is a market on a Thursday. They accept county card.Kendal I would avoid unless you like mountain climbing! Grange over Sands is a flat course although prone to get water logged. Kirkby Lonsdale as an alternative is good and the town is pleasant for 1hour.

Diamond

Visit site
Just checked the route planner and Windermere GC is 7 minutes from where we are staying and Ulverston GC 30 minutes. That may sway my decision but thanks for the advice, sounds like I need to play them both at some point.