Golf in the Cotswolds

Markhamkg

Visit site
I wonder if anyone can give me unbiased advice on joining a club in the Cotswolds predominantly in the Chipping Norton area. I’m currently a member at the lovely East Devon Golf club and will be sad to leave this gem of a club. I play off 15 usually 3x per week so fairly serious about golf. No particular specs but all year playability is important. Anyone got recommendations or thoughts ? Kevin

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always like Burford. Tadmarton Heath is not far away which is pretty good.
Burford is always well presented but I think it is a little bland. I wouldn’t want to play it every week as it is very flat, no water and no stand out holes.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Usual caveat on subjectivity...
Cotswold Club (usually known as 'Chippy' is likely closest. Not sure about year around. Know of some ex members who weren't enamored with the seemingly prioritisation of accommodation guests over the members - one to explore.
For year round, the two Heaths mentioned already. Frilford may be too far and too pricey perhaps.
After that Heythrop stays on full greens and tees all year, a good layout (but long walk);- it is a hotel course, so not so much of a 'club' though.
Wychwood is very much a club, but does struggle a bit in the wet.
@harpo_72 might be able to say more about Tadmarton.

Good luck.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tadmarton is the best in the area, well drained and all round golf, but mats off the fairway in winter due to a strengthening program.
They let the rough grow and the driver accuracy becomes key. Fairway bunkers are deep and are at 200-240 yards off the white tees they will require a wedge or something more lofted to get out. Greens are small, sometimes a bit firm but good putting surfaces.
Bunkers currently are a random selection of sand there is a program to update all but it seems to have stalled.
What it lacks is competition in the area.