Beckenham Place Park in danger of closure

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Y
Good article (for once) in the Daily Mail! Golf is not an elitist sport in the home of golf Scotland, and there is no need for it to be in England either. Although a few private clubs have folded, it is generally the cheaper council run muni's that are under threat of redevelopment. I am now a member of a 'members' club, but like many golfers I started playing at a muni. Where are the next generation of golfers going to come from if they are all shut down? :(

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
P.S. Is the R&A putting any pressure on councils to reverse this trend? It is supposed to be spending Sky money on promoting grass roots golf! :rolleyes:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Y
Good article (for once) in the Daily Mail! Golf is not an elitist sport in the home of golf Scotland, and there is no need for it to be in England either. Although a few private clubs have folded, it is generally the cheaper council run muni's that are under threat of redevelopment. I am now a member of a 'members' club, but like many golfers I started playing at a muni. Where are the next generation of golfers going to come from if they are all shut down? :(

Might be nice if you parked your prejudices and a gave a decent journalist proper credit. A subject that those directly affected have been trying to get into the spotlight finally gets mention in a national newspaper and on the website and rather than compliment Martin Samuel, you use it as a cheap shot against the paper. Nice work. :rolleyes:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Might be nice if you parked your prejudices and a gave a decent journalist proper credit. A subject that those directly affected have been trying to get into the spotlight finally gets mention in a national newspaper and on the website and rather than compliment Martin Samuel, you use it as a cheap shot against the paper. Nice work. :rolleyes:
Think I actually complimented the article! :rolleyes:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Think I actually complimented the article! :rolleyes:

The gist of that sentence related to your low opinion of the normal quality of articles in that particular paper, rather than the quality of the article in question; a back-handed compliment at best.

Perhaps if you did park your prejudices and read the Daily Mail more often, you'd find that Martin Samuel frequently produces articles worthy of proper compliment rather than the one you gave him.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The gist of that sentence related to your low opinion of the normal quality of articles in that particular paper, rather than the quality of the article in question; a back-handed compliment at best.

Perhaps if you did park your prejudices and read the Daily Mail more often, you'd find that Martin Samuel frequently produces articles worthy of proper compliment rather than the one you gave him.
I do read the Daily Mail every day (along with some more upmarket newspapers), mainly for a good laugh. It seems to be obsessed with Royalty, The Conservative Party, a hatred of the Labour Party and Health issues, which often contradict themselves from one week to the next, e.g. Saturated fats are bad for you one week and good for you the next. :rolleyes:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I do read the Daily Mail every day (along with some more upmarket newspapers), mainly for a good laugh. It seems to be obsessed with Royalty, The Conservative Party, a hatred of the Labour Party and Health issues, which often contradict themselves from one week to the next, e.g. Saturated fats are bad for you one week and good for you the next. :rolleyes:

You forgot 'Immigration' and 'Tax avoiders', even though the owner(a Viscount) is the epitome of a tax avoider - a Tax Exile!

CaroleHope4

Visit site
As a non golfer who objects to the closure of the public golf course at Beckenham Place Park I was delighted to see this article. Whatever your opinion of the Daily Mail in general there is no doubt that Martin Samuel is a very fine sports journalist, taking on issues from FIFA corruption to the cruelty involved in endurance horse racing in the Middle East. I always look at his columns on-line. As for Lewisham Council, they have a very long way to go before they get the all important stage 2 approval from Heritage Lottery Fund for their proposals. The opposition to their plans is building up a tremendous head of steam and any publicity at national level is to be welcomed.