Golf In Spain

Maiken

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Gents,

We have booked to go over to Spain in October and I was wondering if anyone had any course reccomendations for us. Last time we went we played La Duquesa, Alcaidesa and Almenara.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Take it you are going Costa Del Sol again...... La Cala has 3 to choose from, only played one but all looked good. Marbella golf club has a couple of Micky Mouse holes but is generally OK and good value in the clubhouse and welcoming too. Rio Real was good. Santa Clara, Santa Maria etc etc Depends what you want to pay really. We generally look for good value and haven't been disappointed often. Los Arquaros is a bit of a goat track, Monte Mayor had to be seen to be believed but I heard it closed down.

Maiken

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I would rather book all the glf with one provider like yourgolftravel however as we have got accomadation sorted it seems that most companies only do deals for accomadation and golf together. La cala looks really good from their website and is less than an hours drive from where we are staying so it could be a good option.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We always use www.golf-service.com as they have good deals that often throw buggies in. They have an office in Puerto Banus where you can pick your vouchers up or they can email them to you before you go. Last time I looked they had over 50 courses you could book on Costa del Sol.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been to la Cala and would put out a warning that although the courses have done good variation ine if then asks a lot of a high handicapper from the tee, eg par 3 with around 180 carry from the tee with nothing accessible (or pleasant on the eye in between). The same course rewards a long straight drive with a run off the course as the fairway is at approx 30 degrees right to left slope. I think that course might be the Europa. I was told that the course manager was a 3 hc and set the course up to test golfers of that ability even though most guests are double figures hcappers.

There is no sand in the bunkers instead it's crushed marble which wl trash/wreck your wedge and requires a totally different bunker technique to sand bunkers.

The Asia course is very tight with few opportunities to use the driver and makes wayward players lose plenty of balls.

The America course shouldn't be done without a buggy as theres a lot of climb throughout the course.

The courses are in reasonably good condition but if your games not up to it on the day it could be a very long round. Facilities are good and food is good.

Hope that helps, if you need any more info just let me know.

Thanks for the advice, I would rather book all the glf with one provider like yourgolftravel however as we have got accomadation sorted it seems that most companies only do deals for accomadation and golf together. La cala looks really good from their website and is less than an hours drive from where we are staying so it could be a good option.

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
I have just booked our first "abroad" golf trip for April staying in La Duquesa.
After much research (for value and quality) and taking advice from someone who is a regular out there we have plumbed for :-
Andaludia links course.
Estepona
La Cala Europa
Lons Noranjos
sunshine-golf.co.uk were recommended and they're coming back to me tomorrow with a price.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm off to Barcelona in 2 weeks for 4 days at Golf de Barcelona - anyone played it

Sorry to hijack thread

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry another wander off track. Just back from Salou, Costa Dorada. Played Lumine Hills, Lakes and 9 hole Ruins. Absolutely immaculate , run by Troon Golf delivering top class service. Slight downside aesthetically on the Lakes is an industrial backdrop in the distance but it don't affect the golf. Also played Costa Dorada Golf Club - really good course but let down a bit by poor state of some tees and slightly patchy fairways.
If we go again will stay in Cambrils where in February there was a good range of bars and restaurants to choose from whereas Salou just needed tumbleweed blowing down the prom to complete the ghost town effect.

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just booked our first "abroad" golf trip for April staying in La Duquesa.
After much research (for value and quality) and taking advice from someone who is a regular out there we have plumbed for :-
Andaludia links course.
Estepona
La Cala Europa
Lons Noranjos
sunshine-golf.co.uk were recommended and they're coming back to me tomorrow with a price.

Sunshine golf are good, are you speaking to Gemma?

I'd drop estapona from that list. Best budget course on the coast is La Canada, far better than Estapona for similar money.

The others are good, although I'm not keen on La Cala, but that's down to personal experience rather than the courses themselves.

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Sunshine golf are good, are you speaking to Gemma?

I'd drop estapona from that list. Best budget course on the coast is La Canada, far better than Estapona for similar money.

The others are good, although I'm not keen on La Cala, but that's down to personal experience rather than the courses themselves.

Yes speaking to Gemma who has been very helpful (and patient) - wouldn't hesitate to recomend.

All booked now so will leave well alone though La Canada was on my shortlist. Also La Cala has changed to the Americas course.

Hope to make this an annual event and if so will try La Canada next year so thanks for the tip.