Golf in South West London

irlnw

Hacker
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for course/club in 30/40 minute drive of Tooting area South London? Only real preference is if there's a driving range too, would be a real plus.

Thanks

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
absolutely loads of courses heading south, in SW London/Surrey depending on budget.

World of golf driving range is about 20min from tooting in New malden.
A bit further down the A3 you have Silvermere which is a nice course and driving range. Richmond park also has both but the course is a little bland, there is also Leatherhead and Hampton Court.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wimbledon common is very close and i think the cheapest course around too at only £800 a year. The A3 driving range is just up the road too. There are comps on every single weekend and you'll never be without a game. It's also a very friendly clubhouse too. Give it a try

irlnw

Hacker
Visit site
I regularly use the World of Golf range but looking for a course/club to join, Shirley Park/Croham Hurst/Surrey Downs have been suggested?

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you're considering Surrey downs, there is also Kingswood next door, closer is Wimbledon Park (although it is used as a car park during the Tennis, but has very good reciprocals i understand).

I'm pretty local, so if you ever fancy a round let me know.

irlnw

Hacker
Visit site
Have you played Kingswood? What are your thoughts? Playing at Farleigh this week to have a look.

Very kind, I may take you up on that!

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having never been a member anywhere, i have played most courses in the area, however Kingswood isn't one of them, it does come highly recommended though, and when time allows me to join a club it will be high on the list of options. I have played Surrey downs a couple of times (although the last time was a few years ago in torrential rain), and i'm sure i have played Farleigh but couldn't tell you what it was like, as was probably 7/8 years ago.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
You've got Hampton Court, which is where I play. A very interesting course, an inland links with fallow deer running around in the shadow of Hampton Court Palace.

If you like verdant green parklands then there are some fantastic ones in the area. I have really enjoyed Selsdon Manor, a really beautiful course but can be very slow at the weekends.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played Kingsdown a lot. Very wet in the winter. Ex member of Wimbledon Common and a friendly club with a relatively cheap membership fee. Only downside is no golf on Sunday afternoon, the public walking across holes and when I was there some cliques booking morning tee spots although that may well have changed over the years. Mitcham is a similar club to Wimbledon Common in all aspects (although think they can play Sunday PM).

Wimbledon Park I always thought was rather expensive and you do lose the course for several weeks for the tennis. Another that can be heavy going in the winter. From Tooting where the OP is, Dulwich & Sydenham would be a time consuming trek (imo). Not many courses have a driving range attached. Horton Park in Epsom probably the only one that springs to mind.

Epsom, (on the downs by the racecourse) is built on chalk and has brilliant drainage. Short but tight in places with very deceptive greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've discussed Horton Park on this forum to death. Suffice to say, don't go and play there.

The OP was looking for a course ideally with a range and this was the only one (bar Sandown Park) I could think off in close proximity. I agree with your sentiments about the place but was answering the question and it would be up to the OP to decide if that was somewhere he could call home

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Already mentioned but if a range is important then Silvermere should be checked out. Has probably the best facilities you'll find and a decent enough course plus a straight shot down the A3 so easy to get to.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know the route she taken, but I wonder how many of the suggested courses are actually 30/40 mins from Balham considering the traffic and such in the area..

irlnw

Hacker
Visit site
I've played Silvermere previously and didn't really enjoy it, maybe because it was so busy. Thanks for all the suggestions, being only really able to play at the weekend and not knowing anyone having a friendly atmosphere and playing partners available at the weekend will be important.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Looking for recommendations for course/club in 30/40 minute drive of Tooting area South London? Only real preference is if there's a driving range too, would be a real plus.

Thanks

If you fancy travelling a tad further, it will open you up to the following;

Hoebridge - very good pay and play but gets busy
Westerham - excellent course. Very picturesque. Never been that busy when I've played there.
Farleigh - I've played 2 of the loops there & enjoyed it. Mates play there fairly often and have never complained
Woldingham - not the hardest of courses but often in very good condition and in a nice setting. It's not expensive either
Drift - I played it once. Didn't think it was amazing but it's worth a visit.
Hersham - easy to get to on the train. Short course. Not great but good if you don't want to drive.

In my opinion, don't bother with:
Richmond park - the pay and play courses are horrendous. Poor condition. Too many people. Really boring set up.

Twisted Stone (used to be called Traditions). It went downhill massively. Worst condition I have ever seen a golf course, last time I played it. The people that ran it should have been ashamed.