Golf in Portugal

bwstokie

Visit site
Hi all

I think we are going to Portugal for a family holiday in early August to the Portimao area. I was just wondering if anyone had been, particularly in August, and had any thoughts/do’s/dont’s with regard to golf in the area. I appreciate it’ll be warm and isn’t the best time of year from a golf perspective.

Cheers in advance!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not done it then but off there in 5 weeks time.
We did an independent holiday there 5 years ago and green fees were lot more than booking through a Dedicated golf travel firm.
From memory Portugal golf has its own tee booking site and we had no trouble booking up 3 months in advance at the time.
Doing the Pestana courses this year ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not done Portugal but we play in Spain all through the summer - plenty of water, get buggies (so you can carry the water), wear a hat rather than blathering sunblock all over your head - because it WILL get in your eyes when you start sweating, and is a massive nuisance.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Just got back from an annual trip to Portugal where we played 4 of the Pestana courses. Was told by a local that Alto is very narrow and should be avoided by mid/high handicappers. We played it about 5 years ago, didn't particularly enjoy it and haven't played it since.
Not sure how far you'll be from them, but we enjoy Gramacho, Vale da Pinta and Silves (all inland rather than by the beach). Palmaeres (sp?) is also worth a look to see if it's near as that was a nice course with holes along the beach.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A couple of things to think of.
How are you getting about. I hired a car and never had any problems re driving.
Re golf. They do an evening rate which actually started about 2 pm. May be later in the summer.But the massive advantages were.A it was far cheaper and B, cooler.
If it is a family holiday whilst playing Palmares we went to Ponta da piedade ( cliffs, caves etc ) south of Lagos. Very good indeed. ?
another course is amendoeria, the Faldo and Oconner course complex. 25 mins away in the car. I played the Faldo course which was good but much preferred Palmares.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a buggy is essential if you're not used to playing in the heat so book one as soon as you can..... on our last trip we 'chanced' not booking and on 2 occasions they didn't have availability for everyone. I walked the first day (being one of the younger members!) and honestly would not have played the second day if I didn't get a buggy - it's very hot, very tiring and the distance between some holes can be a lot. Alcohol definitely factors in with the level of hydration and energy for golf, getting the balance right tends to be something our society struggles with!

bwstokie

Visit site
Certainly some food for thought there - the hotel “the boss” likes is literally next door to Alto. Most likely be early morning solo/tag on any other similar minded souls.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Alto is imo in much better condition now. And always a good dealt o be had in the evening.

Avoid Morgado and the other on site course. Weakest ones in Portugal imo.

Quite often Amendoeira will do a good buggy deal that time of year too.

bwstokie

Visit site
Well we went for the Pestana hotel closest to Alto which I played on Friday. Very nice course, good condition and despite being relatively tight I had a straightish day so it was very enjoyable. Got Gramacho tomorrow, Silves on Wednesday and round off with another visit to Alto on Friday. As a Pestana resident the green fees were ludicrously low at €39 each and also discounted buggy hire at €30 so an absolute steal! Weather isn’t too hot either so playing in high 70’s, low 80’s early doors before getting back to the hotel mid morning for a nice refreshing dip!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Playing Morgado and Alamos in September. Purely cos I've not played them and have played most of the others. Have visited a few times they don't look too bad, but no QdL. :)

Staying with some mates who live on Palmares, so a few games on there on the cards too.

Gorgeous course.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Another vote for Palmares here - best course in the Western Algarve IMHO.
Not played them all but there’s a thread talking about course design over course condition. Palmares has them both in bucket loads.

JT.

Visit site
Not played them all but there’s a thread talking about course design over course condition. Palmares has them both in bucket loads.
In fairness I can’t claim to have played them all, but have certainly played most of them…..defecting to the east to play Monte Rei today though ?? First time round, really looking forward to it.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Resurrected a thread from the dead rather than do a new one.

We're off to Portugal in October, flights are booked but need to confirm the courses, Pestana looks best for our needs and Vale Do Lobo is a touch to pricey.

Had a quote for 3 rounds, but we have 5 courses offered, anyone care to rank them for 3 mid teen handicappers please?

Alto
Silves
Pinta
Gramacho
Villa Sol

Cheers

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Resurrected a thread from the dead rather than do a new one.

We're off to Portugal in October, flights are booked but need to confirm the courses, Pestana looks best for our needs and Vale Do Lobo is a touch to pricey.

Had a quote for 3 rounds, but we have 5 courses offered, anyone care to rank them for 3 mid teen handicappers please?

Alto
Silves
Pinta
Gramacho
Villa Sol

Cheers
Play the bottom 3 😉