Golf in Donegal

Severof

Visit site
Hi all
We are off to Donegal in mid Aug for 10 days, staying in Dunfanaghy . Are taking our clubs and have done some research online, but any other personal advice regarding golf there for an adult and junior, would be most welcome. Apologies if discussed already.
Many thanks. SR

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all
We are off to Donegal in mid Aug for 10 days, staying in Dunfanaghy . Are taking our clubs and have done some research online, but any other personal advice regarding golf there for an adult and junior, would be most welcome. Apologies if discussed already.
Many thanks. SR
Have a great time I went a few years back and loved it. We played Narin and Portnoo which was excellent and some of the Rosapenna courses which were great. We stayed in Dunfanaghy but moved around a bit. Lovely area.

Zig

Visit site
Have been going regularly since 2001 - you need to keep it quiet tho. It's my favourite place in the world, and I'm happy for it to remain relatively undiscovered for as long as possible!

The beaches are fantastic.... great places to walk off the inevitable hangovers before the golf.
Your location is fab - all the courses at Rosapenna are must plays, as is Cruit Island headed in the opposite direction.

Others of note (I can't vouch for Nairn and Portnoo or Portsalon - haven't played personally).
Murvagh at Donegal is great and well worth a visit. To the north, the courses at Ballyliffin are amazing.

Royal Portrush would be a great way to finish if it's not too far/too expensive (and with the Open there next year good to see how you do and then watch the pro's play it!).
Or - if you can justify the 6 hour round journey - Carne to the south is, in my opinion, the most fun place to play golf on the planet.

Depending on how you get there, there are some other options en route.... we've stopped at Lough Erne in Enniskillen on the way from Belfast airports.

Very jealous - enjoy!!

3 jabber

Visit site
Bear in mind that half an inch on the map in Ireland can be an hour of driving, the roads aint quick. Dunfanaghy is ok, best course at Rosapenna is the Sandy Hills. Portsalon is about 45-60 mins away, well worth playing especially the front 9. N&P is fantastic, not played Cruit but it is on my radar. A good course that gets overlooked is North West.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi all
Many thanks. SR

You can't really go wrong in Donegal for links. The price of some can be a bif off putting but if that isn't an issue then go and really enjoy yourself.

If you play ballyliffin then I'd stick to the Glashedy. By far the better course of the two on the property. Hosted the amateur championship this year and will be in fine condition.
Portsallon is a classic out and back links. Well worth a look.
Sandy hills in rossapenna is a beast of a course. Really is breath taking the first time you play it. Take a few balls, a course planner and go have some fun with some crazy holes.
Narin and portnoo I've only been to once and it was Well worth the trip.
Cruit is out that way and worth playing if you venture over. A fun little 9 hole that has to be played to be believed.
You have north west near buncrana which is a very old links. Part of the founding golf union of Ireland courses. Cheaper than the big boys but is a fine test and you won't find a better conditioned course in the county.
If you fancy a break from links lough erne won't disappoint. Can get a decent deal there too.
Dunfanaghy is probably my least favourite links in Donegal. I've enjoyed playing it but it's not in the same league as those other courses. If you can get on for cheap then for sure play it and have fun.

Severof

Visit site
Thanks all. Staying at a hotel on the beach at Dunfanaghy , The Shandon. overlooking the Ocean. Taking my elderly mum back to her roots, letting her relax around the Hotel/ Spa , arranging family to visit her while myself and lad hit the courses, then re-joining them in the evening.

I read that although Dunfanaghy was one of the least impressive, it's where Paul McGinley started out as a junior so worth a visit hopefully, especially as it is so close and if there is some memorabilia in the clubhouse worth catching up on.
Member highlighted from Derry. That's where we are flying into. Can't wait.
Thanks again